Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:57 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Ferry Service on Long Island

Ferry service is such an essential part of life on the east end of Long Island (L.I.). Here are a few from Greenport & Orient Point from my visit 2 weeks ago. K20D + DA*16-50 mm.

The Cross Sound Ferry service between Orient Point, NY and New London, CT. This massive ferry can carry upto 90 vehicles including several 18 wheelers on its 1 hour 20 minute trip across Long Island Sound.

Open wide. . .A close up of the opening on the ferry from New London while docked at Orient Point, NY

What passengers arriving from Connecticut see upon disembarking:

Aboard the North Ferry Company's "Mashomack.": It is one of 2 ways to get to Shelter Island, NY. This ferry connects Greenport, NY on the north fork of L.I, and Shelter Island, NY. The ferry on the south side connects Shelter Island to the south fork of L.I.The ferry was relatively empty on our 12 minute ride.

Last edited by Wingman; Jun 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:46 PM   #2

So, where do they put these 90 vehicles? Wow! That thing must be huge. The ferry from ?? to Quebec held I think about 20 cars and I thought it was large. Actually, that was one of my first dents in my new car. Getting off the ferry we hit bottom. When we got back home I had my mechanic check it out. Some I-beam (??) has a pretty good size dent in it.

Nice images. The second one looks like you're standing in the water to take it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3

Nice shots Jelpee. That ferry is a real time saver. I represented a Company on Long Island and would take that ferry often. Brings back fond memories. The end of Long Island is quaint and beautiful.

Did you get any shots of the New London Ledge Lighthouse? I think it is one of the coolest on the East Coast.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Nice images. The second one looks like you're standing in the water to take it.

Thanks Patty! The second shot was taken "almost" in the water...adjacent to the ramp where she docked.

Patty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Nice shots Jelpee. That ferry is a real time saver. I represented a Company on Long Island and would take that ferry often. Brings back fond memories. The end of Long Island is quaint and beautiful.

Did you get any shots of the New London Ledge Lighthouse? I think it is one of the coolest on the East Coast.

Lou
Thanks Lou! Yes, the east end of LI is very nice...quite different from the west side (i.e. NYC). The north fork (i.e. where I was is rather quaint and quiet, while the south fork is where the Hamptons are (home of many celebrities) and therefore very upscale (and very congested during the Summer). I never have made the trip to New London. My in-laws used to live on Shelter Island where we visited each Summer. Earlier this year they moved to Greenport. We've talked about heading out to New London, but have never made it over there to see the Light House and other sights.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:43 AM   #5

Wow, do these photos bring back some memories! I grew up out there (Southold - next to Greenport), although I haven't lived there since the 1970s. There used to be dirt road next to the Orient ferry that led right to the actually "Point." Not sure if it still exists, but I spent many hours there fishing and enjoying the scenery.

While I occasionally rode the ferry to New London, I've ridden the Shelter Island boats hundreds of times - work related. I still have friends and family out there, although I haven't visited in about five years. Great photos! Thanks for the memories!

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
Wow, do these photos bring back some memories! I grew up out there (Southold - next to Greenport), although I haven't lived there since the 1970s. There used to be dirt road next to the Orient ferry that led right to the actually "Point." Not sure if it still exists, but I spent many hours there fishing and enjoying the scenery.

While I occasionally rode the ferry to New London, I've ridden the Shelter Island boats hundreds of times - work related. I still have friends and family out there, although I haven't visited in about five years. Great photos! Thanks for the memories!

Mike
Glad these images brought back the memories Mike! My wife spent her Summers growing up on Shelter Island. Their home was across Cocles Harbor from Little Ram Island (nestled in Mashomack Preserve). My brother in law still lives there and is now a captain on the North Ferry. Small world isn't it!