Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:42 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I think that possibly the flash is giving you false readings. Without the flash and using exactly the same settings what sort of result would you get, are we talking very underexposed? If that is the case as I guess it is looking at everything then the shutter speed has little to do with the sharpness as the flash is giving the exposure and this happens in a fraction of a second.

I know I'm a pain but think that you need to repeat in ambient only lighting conditions.

I aim to make your life easy.... honest I do
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:06 PM   #12

I agree. Also I don't think a clock is the best subject. You need to get a proper resolution chart - there are several on the internet that you can purchase, or you can try printing out this one (which won't be as sharp as the "real thing") but may do for this purpose. It is a pdf file and my browser (Safari) will automatically print it out in landscape mode.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...3-reschart.pdf

Last edited by penolta; Jul 3, 2009 at 4:28 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:35 PM   #13

Mark, I do think you're right. I was thinking that might be the case.
I did try it with out the flash and with the max aperture of 6.7 its just too dark. This really wasn't intended to be a scientific study in shake reduction it was just a spur of the moment thing but, now my curiosity has kicked in and with the chart Penolta mentioned (thanks Pen) and some aux lighting I may just set up an area at work to do a lot of lens testing. Thanks guys for the input.

BTW, has anyone checked this out yet?
there is an article in this months Digital Photo Pro magazine.
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/...s.html?start=1
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Mark, I do think you're right. I was thinking that might be the case.
I did try it with out the flash and with the max aperture of 6.7 its just too dark. This really wasn't intended to be a scientific study in shake reduction it was just a spur of the moment thing but, now my curiosity has kicked in and with the chart Penolta mentioned (thanks Pen) and some aux lighting I may just set up an area at work to do a lot of lens testing. Thanks guys for the input.

BTW, has anyone checked this out yet?
there is an article in this months Digital Photo Pro magazine.
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/...s.html?start=1
Motorman got one GW and tried it out. Works pretty good but better for studio conditions and prime lens. The variables that can change the focus point are too difficult to get spot on when changing distances and zooming in and out when outdoors. Also each lens will have to be done that you are using. Here is the post he did on it...

This is a tool similar to the Focus Test Charts that myself and others have posted past but what separates this from the other is the ability to repeat and set up with a high degree of accuracy,the closest insterment to date to test focus of cameras and lenses to date that is available to consumers.
I have been watching this product for some time waiting for it's release and after some good reviews I decided to stimulate the economy and purchase this for a late birthday present for myself . Here is a link to the product...

http://www.rawworkflow.com/lensalign/

I purchased the Lite version(cheaper but just as accurate as the pro model) and tested my lenses today and being my camera,Pentax K20D, is one of the few DSLR's that allow adjustments for 20 lenses and even an overall body adjustment that allows for focus confirmation for manual lenses and I made adjustments for most of my lenses today.
I was truely surprized that they were as far out as they were as I was getting good results.I will do some shooting with them and come back and even fine tune even closer if I can.
I found most of my AF lenses were front focusing except one and adjusted my MF macro to the focus confirmation light to assist my poor eyes.

Here is a couple of pics of the product and it in action....

Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:40 AM   #15

Thanks BD,
I'm thinking I'm going to get one also since you live too far away to come barrow yours.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote