Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:37 PM   #1

Default Comparing SR on the Bigma...

Roy brought up the subject of shake reduction the other day and, Harriet mentioned something about it not working when you use flash. I couldn't remember if that was the case so i thought I'd try it out on the new Bigma today. Harriet, you need to double check that on yours because it should work.
These were taken hand held, 500mm, 1/90sec, f:6.7 with the 540FGZ flash. at a distance of 40-50 ft. all I did was aim focus and shoot, turn the SR off then aim focus and shoot. The strange thing was, I was using auto ISO for each shot, taken seconds apart and the only change was SR... the first shot was at ISO 200 and the second at 400. that must be why the color shift but, not sure why the camera chose two different ISO's.
Anyway...
the SR works!

close up crop,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi GW, I think you should run this test again as it looks like the latter photo is actually out of focus and nothing or little to do with shake.

I would also use a manual ISO so you have no differences at all in this setup.

I'm not doubting that SR works btw, just that I don't think this is not showing it realistically.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:06 PM   #3

thanks
i still like the comparison over at dpreview using the riding lawnmower to prove the point. i'll have the mower out this week and will try to show the same
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi GW, I think you should run this test again as it looks like the latter photo is actually out of focus and nothing or little to do with shake.

I would also use a manual ISO so you have no differences at all in this setup.

I'm not doubting that SR works btw, just that I don't think this is not showing it realistically.
Well, could be Mark, I'll try it again tomorrow. it's funny though, out of a dozen shots, this is the only one that turned out this way and it's the only one I turned off the SR. looking at it though, it does look just out of focus.
you have my curiosity up now.

cheers,
PS. your right of course on the ISO, that was just an oversight, you can't expect me to think of everything!

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jul 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:00 AM   #5

did you think to get the milk ??
oh and set the clock right too
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:49 PM   #6

I'm not really good with flash, and I'm usually using it for macro shots, where flash can do strange things (at least I think it does). I usually check my pictures to make sure that they really look like what I want it to, and the camera always says that SR is off when I've taken flash pictures - that's the only reason why I thought it wouldn't be on. Of course, it could be that I'm taking the picture too quickly, that I'm not letting the SR activate. I don't pay much attention to it when I'm using flash.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:53 AM   #7

I've used the bigma enough to know that the AS or SR does work. Enough to know I'll not have another camera that doesn't have it. New Bigma EAH GW!!! Way to go.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:57 AM   #8

LOL GW is just looking for any excuse to use his new "BIGMA"!!! Color me jealous
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
did you think to get the milk ??
oh and set the clock right too

John, at first I couldn't figure out what in the world you were talking about...
then it hit me! good one.

Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm not really good with flash, and I'm usually using it for macro shots, where flash can do strange things (at least I think it does). I usually check my pictures to make sure that they really look like what I want it to, and the camera always says that SR is off when I've taken flash pictures - that's the only reason why I thought it wouldn't be on. Of course, it could be that I'm taking the picture too quickly, that I'm not letting the SR activate. I don't pay much attention to it when I'm using flash.
That could be it Harriet, you have to give it a second to kick in.

That said, I'm now curious about my test. As I've mentioned before, due to the meds I take, my hands are not real steady. As a result, I prefer to use shutter speeds of 1/125sec. and over. these results kinda messed with my mind. lets see what you guys think.

The first 3 are with SR. on
1/90thsec. f:6.7 500mm @35ft

I changed position here to a more head on shot but, got too much glare.

Same as above with SR turned off...

1/20th sec f:13

1/15th f:16

1/10th f:13

Now all the way down to 1/8thsec. SR seemed to help some, I think, well ... maybe... maybe not.

OFF

ON

OFF

Sooo... what do you think!