Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Hot Shoe Cover Question

I lost the cover for the hot shoe. How important is it? I'm wondering if it's something I should replace right away? How sensitive are the contacts?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2

Not sure about this. The one on my K100 was always falling off, so I just took it off permanently. Used it from Aug 2006 thru Dec 2008 and never noticed a problem with my flash not working right that I was aware of. The one on my K20, thankfully, stays on.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:23 AM   #3

it does not make a difference..i've never had one on my DS and don't plan one on my k20..
the viewfinder eye piece does make a big difference because it will take a combined Ev from the eye piece and the lens..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Hi Harriet,

I've managed to lose 3 out of the 4 that I've been supplied with -- the only one that I've been able to keep track of is the one from my very new K100DS. The DS, K10, and K20 all have "always naked" hot shoes, and haven't suffered from it over the years.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5

I had never seen a hot shoe cover before I bought my DS. That's twenty years of shooting and I never ever even gave it a thought.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:33 PM   #6

Good question...that I have no answer for.

I've had my K10D since Nov., 2007, my KM since April 2009. In both cases I took the hot shoe cover off...just as I did with my ES 11 back in '75.

I never thought about the necessity of covering the digital SLR's until you brought it up. To be honest I don't know if the hot shoe on a DSLR should be covered.

I can't recall reading about it needing to stay on the hot shoe...but I think I will check out and see what the manual says.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:54 PM   #7

It's interesting how many others have lost theirs, too. I did pretty good for a long time - this is the first one I've lost (though it's only been recently that I've been using flash on a regular basis). I've been leaving the K100 naked while keeping it's cover on the K20, but I think I might change to just leaving the K20 bare. Based on the number of people that don't use one, I don't think I'd have a problem. I guess it might be an idea to put the cover on when I'm out snowshoeing or something like that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:42 PM   #8

I'll chime in as well. I have taken off my cover since getting my K100 3 1/2 years ago and have never had a problem. I think you will be fine without it.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It's interesting how many others have lost theirs, too. I did pretty good for a long time - this is the first one I've lost (though it's only been recently that I've been using flash on a regular basis). I've been leaving the K100 naked while keeping it's cover on the K20, but I think I might change to just leaving the K20 bare. Based on the number of people that don't use one, I don't think I'd have a problem. I guess it might be an idea to put the cover on when I'm out snowshoeing or something like that.
The K10D/ K20D are supposed to be water resistant....maybe that only works with the hot shoe cover. I wonder if the hot shoe..sans..cover poses a problem for the camera ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:09 PM   #10

The contacts are subject to contamination or corrosion, although there is seldom a problem if you keep your fingers off them and don't spill coffee or anything else on them. In the hot and humid South, you have to watch your sweat (been there, done that) - salty sweat is a good conductor and could even short the contacts. If your flash suddenly fails to work when it is properly seated and has charged batteries, the flash may not be making contact, and you can try wiping off the contacts on both with a dry cloth - if that doesn't work then clean the contacts on both with a pencil eraser (but be careful to eliminate the eraser dust completely so it doesn't get inside anything). The cover is cheap protection. The original Pentax hot shoe cover FX is not listed on Pentax USA (there are other unlisted accessories too), but is listed by Pentax Canada; anyway, you can easily find a replacement cover on ebay for $3-4, post paid.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote