Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:03 PM   #1

Default Some GBH shots on a cloudy day (4 imgs)

Hi All,

Haven't been shooting too much due to weather (rain and or heat) and some health issues, so I was glad to see this Great Blue Heron when I was out with the K20 and FA*300/4.5 on a day that was constantly threatening rain. This was at an extension of a drainage pond for a local hospital -- a good place to spot some herons, egrets, and killdeer in addition to the usual gulls and Canada Geese. Unfortunately there is absolutely no cover, so it's very hard to get close -- one has to just walk and move very slowly and hope for the best. . .

I thought that I'd need more reach than the 300mm, so I mounted the Sigma 1.4x APO TC and started to approach the GBH. All shots were handheld. ISO was set at Auto 320-800 to keep the shutter speeds at some reasonable levels, Auto WB, Av piority

I think that this is an adult female -- both sexes look the same, but the female is smaller, and the tail only extends down to about knee level, while the males have longer bodies that extend down to about halfway between the knees and feet.

Here she'd just grabbed a small fish. I did get a shot of the capture, but it was a bit too motion blurred to be what I consider a good shot.

As I took a step towards her, she turned and started walking in the other direction, walked quite a way, then swallowed the fish.

I wanted to position myself to get some shots with the water as the background, and she was pretty cooperative as I walked around taking occasional shots. Finally, I got in position to get this reflection shot

Not the best. . . but it was good to get out and shoot some. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:33 PM   #2

Scott,

Fabulous shots!

A beautiful subject and well taken. Nice narrative as well.The last one is my favorite.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:49 PM   #3

Ya done good Scott!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:53 PM   #4

Nice ones, Scott. Haven't seen any herons around. It's either been raining like crazy here, or I've not been at the right spot to see them.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5

nice shots scott
my pond seems to be a lot different from previous years.
up until yesterday i had not seen any herons and less Dfies i always have

Last edited by robar; Jul 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:08 AM   #6

Very nice, Scott. I can't wait until you can post some comparison shots with the K7 and the K20. Hope you get yours soon!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post

Not the best. . . but it was good to get out and shoot some. . .

Scott
Great shots though with your top rated gear. It is their hunting time and we will have a lot of chance to see them
Thanks for sharing

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:08 AM   #8

Scott

You have the K7?
I know a fellow in Hong Kong who has just got the Tamron adaptall 300/2.8 + 1.7X + k7.
Can't wait for some of his posting . I recall you have the same combo too?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 1:24 PM   #9

Scott - glad to see some of your amazing work again. The lighting on the bird is excellent, details crystal clear, and very well-composed shots as well...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Scott,

Fabulous shots!

A beautiful subject and well taken. Nice narrative as well.The last one is my favorite.

Lou
Hi Lou,

Thanks! The reflection shot might be a little clicheish, but I still take them when I can. It's my favorite of these because of the water as the background. When I spotted her, I wanted to make sure that I at least got some shots, and all the shots after she picked up fish were from this angle.
I was only able to get a few from the side where the water was the background, and none were when she had a fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Ya done good Scott!
Hi GW,

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Nice ones, Scott. Haven't seen any herons around. It's either been raining like crazy here, or I've not been at the right spot to see them.

Patty
Hi Patty,

I think we get the same weather, but maybe a couple of days before you do -- record rainfall this spring, then it got really hot, then it rained again. . . I've been pretty lucky with the herons so far, but really missed a lot of the migrating little guys when they passed through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
nice shots scott
my pond seems to be a lot different from previous years.
up until yesterday i had not seen any herons and less Dfies i always have
Hi Roy,

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Very nice, Scott. I can't wait until you can post some comparison shots with the K7 and the K20. Hope you get yours soon!
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

Hmmmmm! About the K7. . . haven't ordered one yet, but will probably do so soon. I'm waiting to see them in stock at one of my preferred online dealers, but the only ones I've seen were at Amazon, and for some reason, I'm not a fan of theirs. I figure that I'll have one in the next couple of weeks. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Great shots though with your top rated gear. It is their hunting time and we will have a lot of chance to see them
Thanks for sharing
Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Scott
You have the K7?
I know a fellow in Hong Kong who has just got the Tamron adaptall 300/2.8 + 1.7X + k7.
Can't wait for some of his posting . I recall you have the same combo too?
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

I've been seeing more of them now that it appears that most of the young have fledged. It'll be a while before I get a K7, but will probably shoot it more with the FA*300/2.8 than the Tamron 300/2.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Scott - glad to see some of your amazing work again. The lighting on the bird is excellent, details crystal clear, and very well-composed shots as well...
Hi mole,

Thanks!

I can't take too much credit for the lighting -- it was an overcast day, so I got some pretty nice diffused lighting. I would have liked more light to get shutter speeds up, and had quite a few shots messed up by motion blur, but the clouds made it easier to not totally blow out the white stripe at the top of her head (which is always a problem with GBHs). There's always some compromise. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote