Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Why the *ist d instead of the Canon Digital Rebel (300d)?

Why buy the *ist d instead of the Canon Digital Rebel (300d)? I have a boat load of K mount lenses, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be many advantages of the Pentax *ist d over the Canon 300d. The *ist is about $1500 without a lens and the 300d is under $1000 WITH a lens. The features of the *ist are not that much better than the 300d.

Am I missing something? Please help!

Carl
cfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 3:55 PM   #2
NHL

Why buy the 10D instead of the Canon Digital Rebel (300d)? Same reason, isn't the *ist more like the D100 (same CCD) or 10D (also with a metal chassis), and with true prism and all priced @ around $1500 as well?

The Digital Rebel is designed to meet a price point (although very good at it) with less feature and mirrors instead of a pentaprism... ie with a few details here and there missing that would account for that $500 difference which is passed on as saving to the consumers...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 2:16 PM   #3

Default Re: Why the *ist d instead of the Canon Digital Rebel (300d)

> Why buy the *ist d instead of the Canon Digital Rebel
> (300d)? I have a boat load of K mount lenses, ...

You may have just answered your own question.

The *istD was probably originally priced for a market
in which there was no EOS-300D. Plan A didn't work.

Plan B may be to drop the price later, after first
seeing how many *'s can be sold to the captive
market of people with boatloads of K-mounts.

Any hypothetical price drop probably won't happen
until after the holidays. Actions by Sony and Nikon
might also have some effect.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:23 PM   #4
Administrator

Let's not forget the important things ... the *ist D is like the 10D and D100, you can pick the metering and focus modes you want in any exposure mode. The Digital Rebel/300D automatically selects the metering and focus mode depending on the exposure mode.

The Digital Rebel is nice for amateurs but it certainly does not replace the 10D -- Canon isn't stupid

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:24 PM   #5

I got my camera online for just under $1200 - with an add-on kit (pieced together separately), I have spent about $1500 for the camera, acse, two KAF lenses, and a 1GB microdrive. I could have gotten all those starter goodies with the Digital Rebel, which was my other choice for just under $1000 and a lot of time to shop and a sharp eye for bargains. I chose the Pentax because of the compatibility with my 23-year-old K-1000 - after getting the camera and seeing what it could not do without the newer KAF lense-mount lenses, I ordered them (haven't received them yet. My concern is that they will be able to do what they say they will and I will be able to utilize the program and hyper program settings). Unfortunately, with the new lenses, I will also need to buy protective filters, and adapter rings for my Cokin filters- and my old strobe has a hotshoe that is too large for this camera. So I ended up buying the more expensive camera and needing to buy all the goodies to go with it. But still, I don't regret my decision. Knowing all that, I'd do it the same again. Here's why:

I have such a strong brand affinity to Pentax. Their cameras have served me very well over the years.

This camera is built more solidly than the Digital Rebel, according to reviews.

Sony did the innards for this camera. I trust Sony.

This camera is smaller than the Digital Rebel, according to reviews.

It appears to me to have greater flexibility.

All in all, I believe this will be a camera I will keep for 23 years, like my other one, if technology will permit me to. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the Rebel had going for it was the price, and the fact that my dad and I could have swapped accessories (but since he and I both use our cameras a lot and live almost 2 hours away, that wasn't really practical).
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote