Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:06 PM   #11

Sure enjoyed the Dragonfly "baby" pics. Nice pictures all. I envy you your job. I met a man on the trail to Mt Leconte, Herb Clabo, and he hiked the trails educating tourists. Very nice people, the natives.

Thanks for the stories..Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:20 PM   #12

thanks for the hike
a neat idea
i really like the blue damselfy pic

bats in the day time??
what kind is it?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:21 PM   #13

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Harriet - Dragonfly nymphs sure do have "a face only a mother could love!" But they are amazing creatures - they can squirt water out of their anal opening to swim by "jet propulsion." They can stick out their labium ("lower lip") about 3-4 times the size of their head, to scoop up their prey (including, among other things, mosquito larvae). Your comment also reminds me of a telephone call I once got - "How do I attract more butteflies to my garden? Oh, and by the way, what's the best way to keep those nasty caterpillars out of my garden?"!!!

Patty, GW, Robert & Gumnut - glad you liked the "hike!" It's even more fun for me - I got to go on the REAL hike!

Robert - I've hiked Leconte many times (will be down in the Smokies later this week in fact). It is a great place to hike, and to guide others too...

Gumnut - It was a female Red Bat. They usually perch in deciduous trees by day. This one was carrying two babies that were almost too big for her, and fell out of the tree. I just grabbed a quick shot before helping her back into the tree. From there, she flew off successfully into a dense (hopefully safer) thicket.

By the way, I just got back from a VERY WET hike up at Roan Mt to check out some rare plants. Should have some photos to post later...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:28 AM   #14

dragonfly nymphs are so creepy! although you've taken some awesome photos of them. still creepy. maybe even creepier, because you can see their little faces better. why was that bat just sitting on the ground? was it sick or hurt, or just scared or dumb? i do love the bee fly on the flower the best, i think. i like the depth of field, as well as the angle of the fly in the photo. yup.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:29 AM   #15

oops, now i read what you said about the bat!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:08 PM   #16

Vole - thanks as always for your insightful comments!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote