Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Default Mountain Runoff (2 pictures)

This is one of many small streams leading from Pleasant Mt. in Bridgton, ME into Moose Pond at its base. Taken after a heavy rain. I like the image in the first photo but the waterfall detail better in the second. Your critiques and comments would be welcome.

Tokina 80-400mm lens, 150mm, F32, 3" (-0.5EV), ISO 200, AV mode, CWA, both pictures. Minor levels adjustment and sharpening.

150mm, F22, 1/2" (-0.5EV), ISO 200, AV mode, CWA

Last edited by Keltech; Jul 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2

Beautiful capture of the running water in a lovely setting. The only way I might improve them would be to perhaps brings the levels up on the water just a little. Nice work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:42 AM   #3

Nice photos! Everytime I see such shots, it inspires me to get out with a tripod and try my hand.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:08 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Water in motion makes for great subjects and you have captured them well! I prefer#1...the tree branches frame the falls better, and I also prefer the smoother effect on the water. I could not read your Exif data...what Tv and Av did you use?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:17 AM   #5

Beautiful capture of a beautiful scene! Great composition and very effective use of settings. Just personal taste, but I might clone out the two dark sticks just right of middle on the lower falls area (just below the wet rock).
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
The only way I might improve them would be to perhaps brings the levels up on the water just a little. Nice work.
Paul
Paul,

Thanks for your kind comment and suggestion. I will try and adjust the levels in the water when I get back home and on my desktop. I am never sure what I am seeing on the laptop. My PP skills still need some improvement as well

Lou
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:46 AM   #7

Jim,

Thank you. Give it a try, it's a lot of fun slowing down the water flow and seeing the different results you can get!

Lou
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Water in motion makes for great subjects and you have captured them well! I prefer#1...the tree branches frame the falls better, and I also prefer the smoother effect on the water. I could not read your Exif data...what Tv and Av did you use?
jelpee,

Sorry, it was late when I posted and I incorrectly stated the EXIF data. I have corrected the post to reflect the proper data and included the TV setting that was omitted. thanks for pointing it out and also for your nice comments.

Lou
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Beautiful capture of a beautiful scene! Great composition and very effective use of settings. Just personal taste, but I might clone out the two dark sticks just right of middle on the lower falls area (just below the wet rock).
Mole,

I thought about removing those twigs but in the end did not as they seemed a natural element. Here is the picture with them removed and you are right, it is an improvement.

Thanks,

Lou

Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:34 PM   #10

Very nice Lou!
Very peaceful looking.

PS.
I've been meaning to ask you about your Avatar photo, what is your camera mounted on? looks something like a Bush hawk or similar.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote