Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Portrait Practice

Last night, I had a chance to shoot a portrait session with my son and his beautiful wife. The setting was a botanical garden in Kaneohe. I learned that a 9" laptop screen may be fine for doing some editing, but careful control of lighting and colors goes beyond its capabilities. These will be better after I get home and re-edit; still, I thought some of them were keepers.

Just a couple of more days before we head home and a lawn that awaits...lol.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Great image, they look like a wonderful couple.

I really like the first image, but for some reason it looks out of focus.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:46 AM   #3

Paul,
Very nice, looks like you are having a relaxing time, so forget about the lawn. #2 and #4 are my favorites.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:48 PM   #4

Nice looking couple Paul.
you probably can't tell on the 9" lap top but, you seam to have lost contrast on the last shot.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice looking couple Paul.
you probably can't tell on the 9" lap top but, you seam to have lost contrast on the last shot.
You're right on losing the contrast. I can see it on my son's desktop, but there are some exposure problems on the shot that I think, to fix properly, will have to wait till I get home and can work on the RAW image in Lightroom. Overall, I've been pleased with the rather quick edits I've been able to do on the little Aspire machine with PSE 7 (all of the shots I've posted have come from the JPEG's--works great with the landscapes, not so great with people shots); however, the problem I've found is that it's hard to get the exact screen viewing angle to make close judgements.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:49 PM   #6

Paul,

Nice looking kids. Terrific pictures that will keep them with you when they are not there. Nicely done!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
You're right on losing the contrast. I can see it on my son's desktop, but there are some exposure problems on the shot that I think, to fix properly, will have to wait till I get home and can work on the RAW image in Lightroom. Overall, I've been pleased with the rather quick edits I've been able to do on the little Aspire machine with PSE 7 (all of the shots I've posted have come from the JPEG's--works great with the landscapes, not so great with people shots); however, the problem I've found is that it's hard to get the exact screen viewing angle to make close judgements.

Paul

Yes, I know what you mean. Even the more expensive lap tops are hard to use for editing but don't quit on us, everything you've posted so far is pretty darn good and some are fantastic!

BTW, your son's a nice looking young man, he must take after his mom.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #8

I know nothing about portrait photography, but my favorites are 2, 4 and I also like 5. I thought the first one looked a bit OOF also, though otherwise its a lovely shot. They make a lovely couple.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I know nothing about portrait photography, but my favorites are 2, 4 and I also like 5. I thought the first one looked a bit OOF also, though otherwise its a lovely shot. They make a lovely couple.
Lovely portraits. Somehow I think the heavy compression may give the impression that they are OOF. Could be both too. Laptop may screw up on the color but not the resolution part.

Nice exercise though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote