Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:26 PM   #11

Another great series Mole.

I like the first Lilly shot best.

But they are all good. My only suggestion would be to get the weather to cooperate.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:43 PM   #12

Another great series Mole!
Some of these I've never seen before.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:08 PM   #13

Another lovely series! Your unidentified member of the mint family looks similar to a flower I've seen in the botanical gardens - I have no idea what it is, but the flowers look similar (think the leaves are different though). Hope your current hike is going well and that you'll come back with equally good pictures of another spot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:11 AM   #14

Thanks for all the kind and positive comments! Roan Mt is an awesome place, and I am fortunate/blessed to live so close to it.

Pastor - yes indeed - a clear day in the highlands is a rarity! Hope to "cross paths" with you sometime up there.

BB - glad you liked them.

Lou - Yes, that mushroom would probably be very bad for your longevity! Thanks for the tip about the dust. I noticed some specks, tried the built-in dust removal procedure, but it didn't seem to help. What do you use for dust removal? Roan Mt is about 6300' elevation. The hike I took was from Carvers Gap to Grassy Ridge, which is about 2 miles each way (just a little hike...) Also went on the Buck Mt that day, sev more miles on the AT.

Jim - thanks for the lily input. considering the storms I've been out in this past week, I will not complain about a bit of rain at Roan!

GW - glad you enjoyed them.

Harriet - Thanks - glad you enjoyed them. Just got back from several good long hikes in GSMNP - it may be a day or so before I get dried out, cleaned up & ready to post some photos. But it was a great time in some rich green mts!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:45 AM   #15

Lovely, Mole. I really like the first lily shot. Although, the others aren't so bad.

You always post such a nice assortment of photos. The indian pipes look quite interesting.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:48 AM   #16

Dust removal is normally very easy. I have Giotto's rocket blower - it's a hand air blower that's designed for cameras, but Roy said that at first he used to use his wife's turkey baster and I've heard of people who have used an ear thingy. Big thing is to NOT use canned air, and to be careful that whatever you use doesn't have anything like powder in it. There's a custom menu item that locks the mirror up temporarily (make sure you have enough juice in the battery so the camera can hold it). Hold the camera upside down (or use a tripod, but I always hold it) so the dust falls out of the hole, aim the air blower toward the sensor (don't touch it) and put a couple of puffs of air toward it. Turn off the camera and put a lens on it and check to see if you've shifted it. It might take a couple of times. It only takes a couple of seconds, very easy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:34 AM   #17

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!! i miss roan mountain. next weekend. come get me. let's run away to roan mountain together. with petey and lizzie, of course.

photos great, as always. yawn. : )

the double lily. that's the one that made me miss roan mtn the most, captures the atmosphere of the place as well as being a beautiful picture of the flowers that are only there.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:38 AM   #18

ps, that spiderweb with barbed wire is beautiful. the kind of thing that people would spend way too much on at an art gallery. (i've seen way worse going for up in the thousands.) the poetics of the human made vs spider made, combined with the dew on the spiderweb, all that stuff plus the composition of the photo= people thinking that it's art and spending too much on it
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:09 PM   #19

Hey vole - don't give me the "big head!" Thanks for all the great comments - sure wish I could take you up to Roan soon. One of these days...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
T
What do you use for dust removal?
Like Harriet I use the Rocket Blower in the same fashion Harriet described. One caution, do not put the tip of the blower inside the camera as there is a chance of touching either the sensor or the mirror.

When I change lenses I keep the camera upside down and blow off the lens being inserted with my mouth before installing it. This helps reduce the dust you get into the camera. Best if you can change lenses in a sheltered area.

With all the pollen we have back here in the East I find it necessary when dust gets welded to my sensor to wet clean. I use the Copper Hill method, Peck Pads and Eclips fluid. Check with a camera dealer to see what fluid you should use on your sensor as it is different from my K100D.

I find the best way to check for dust is to set my camera to F22 and shoot at the sky (A white wall would work even better). Then look at the image magnified to about 8-12X

Hope this helps,

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote