Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Default Help needed on burning DVD

I'm trying to make a nature dvd slide show presentation to show on a TV projection monitor at my church. my problem is everything I have tried so far has degraded the image quality so much it looks terrible!
Anybody have a solution for me that won't break the bank?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:43 AM   #2

Hi GW,

There are programs out there that will load all the photos and make an executable file that is the slideshow. I briefly played with
Compupic Proshow Gold a couple of years ago, and at that time it was considered a top line program for this. They have a full version that you can download and use for 15 days. You can do your project, then buy it for $59 if you'd see using it again. It seemed to be in vogue a few years ago on the DPR retouching forum, so it seemed to be a good product. I was usung CompuPic Pro as my organizer/view at the time, and other than some easily worked aroud glitches, it did a great job at that task . I'm sure that the then good sorftware version that have been developed since then should be much better in the intervenning yearsl

I'd install the prog. setup your slideshow before the 15 day timelimit and then justuninstall the program,

the program, fron what I see allows for a num of timing variations, transitions --- You can add music, badkgroumds, and treasition effects, Once you'r e done, you just tell it to burn it to a DVD. . .
But it always sounds easier to say than do.

http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold

Google :free slideshow programs" into google and you should get some more to tryl... I think that ACDSee Pro 2 can aslo do this -- I've obviously never tried it. . .

What kid of software are you using? It's most likely that something that you have can be set up to give you what you want. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:16 PM   #3

Hey Scott, Thank you for replying.
Yeah, ProShow Gold was the first one I tried... I like all the features and the ease of use but, I must be doing something wrong, the finished project is way too low of a resolution. Even on a smaller screen, all detail is gone. Looks like I took pictures with a 1megapixle camera!

Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:36 PM   #4

GW,

I'm with you. I found the same thing a couple years ago. Video resolution was just too poor compared to still. What I'm wondering is if there might be an HD video software that might overcome the issue. But standard video doesn't have the resolution. I chose to create slide shows in Powerpoint and run from a computer. If you're controlling the slideshow you could do the same thing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:44 PM   #5

I hesitated to add anything because I've never tried to create a slide show that would run in a regular DVD player. The only time I've tried to create an exportable slide show I either used Powerpoint, or else Lightroom, which can export a slide show to pdf format. Both give good results, but need a computer.

I do have a Mac, and I wonder if I could use something like iMovie? Never thought of that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:14 PM   #6

If you don't have a portable computer, I assume the church has if they can play a DVD, so why not put your slides on a USB thumb drive and show them from that? If they are only using a DVD player, it might have a USB port, too, but then you would have to have a program on the drive to play the slides. I have a Hitachi LCD projector that has built-in slide show programming and will play slides from a USB drive. A newer model also accepts SD cards.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:25 AM   #7

ive done them using nero, which came free with my pc, but im sure they do a trial version.
its a little hidden away in the menus, but if you use the wizard to "make a dvd" youll the see the "make photo dvd" bit.
the quality was very good
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:08 AM   #8

Most programs that make slideshows make them as movies. The resolution tends to be low.

There are a couple of solutions if there is no reason why they can’t be clicked by someone. If you want it to be shown by anyone transfer the files as simple JPGs to a CD or DVD. Most players will read them and cycle them with the forward button. Most DVD players have a 99 picture limit. Some require the image to be in a 4:3 ratio if they aren’t Blue Ray or HD.

If you are going to be showing the slideshow yourself, put the images back on your camera and use the camera as your showing device. This would probably give better resolution if they have a HD TV but don’t have a HD player. Most cameras require that the filename be in the old DOS format – 8 digits with no spaces. And a few cameras require you to strip the metadata. It’s easy enough to test. No camera I have owned prevents me from putting images back on the camera and viewing them on the LCD. If you can view them on the LCD you can send them via AV cable to a TV. The projector likely has AV input. I think all of my cameras have come with AV cables.

The advantage of either approach is that you get sharper images. The disadvantage is that you can’t just have it run unattended without a computer hookup.

Some basics: http://www.scantips.com/basics1f.html
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:10 PM   #9

A big thank you to all of you!
I don't know why I didn't think of some of these ideas myself. I think my brain is getting old and tired!

Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:03 AM   #10

Hi GW,

You have probably already finished your slideshow at the church, but I thought it might be important for you to have some general information.

Whenever you create a DVD slideshow you are changing the images from whatever their original file size in pixel dimensions to the standard for DVD. If you live in the U.S., that would be NTSC which is 720 x 480 pixels. So necessarily your image quality diminishes accordingly. If you have a BluRay player and BluRay burner and can create a High Definition (HD TV) DVD disc then the resolution can be much better at up to 1080p or 1920 x 1024 pixels progressive scan. Of course this also requires the monitor or television to support this higher resolution.

Most newer HD TV screens have provisions for input directly from your computer via an HDMI cable. If you have this option, then the finest image quality available in an executable slideshow is found with the software PicturesToExe. This software allows full Ken Burns effects of Pan, Zoom, Rotate, etc., and has incredible features which let you mix your own voice-over and add background music, etc., along with either automatic play or manual play or both. You can advance to the next slide, go back, go to the first slide from any other slide and even run external programs and return seamlessly to your slideshow. It's a tremendously versatile software and fully supports exporting to either executable, DVD or High Definition MP4 video at 1080p or even 1600x1200 if you need 4:3 aspect ratio. You can see it at:

http://www.wnsoft.com

Best regards,

Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I'm trying to make a nature dvd slide show presentation to show on a TV projection monitor at my church. my problem is everything I have tried so far has degraded the image quality so much it looks terrible!
Anybody have a solution for me that won't break the bank?
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote