Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:24 AM   #1

Default Remotes?

I was wondering if you all have and use a remote?

I have a K100d and might keep the K20 (still in the box).
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:08 PM   #2

I have both wired and wireless remotes. The K100 has only one wireless remote sensor on the front, the K20 has two, one each on the front and back. The front sensor is useful for self portraits, when the wireless remote can be used from the front and when the wired remote cord is not long enough. I use remotes mostly from behind when the camera is on a tripod or copy stand, and can conveniently use either with the k20 (and K10), but only the wired one with the K100. Why wouldn't you keep the K20?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:32 PM   #3

Yep, what more can one say?
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
I was wondering if you all have and use a remote?

I have a K100d and might keep the K20 (still in the box).
I have the Pentax "F" wireless-works fine on my DS, K10, & K20.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:48 PM   #5

Default Keeping K20...should I?

It was a special with easypay that was to be delivered late in July giving me time to do some research, ask questions and decide if I wanted to upgrade from the K100d or cancel the order.

Well, they shipped it early and it's already here! I didn't even have time to warn my husband. But he's cool with it.

The K20 was $699, kit lens 18-55 II w/ 3 yr warranty.

Looks like I'll get a remote either way. Probably wireless if I keep the K20.

Last edited by cameanee; Jul 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:13 PM   #6

I ended up buying both the wired and wireless remotes. I felt a big need for the wireless remote as I was in the situation of wanting to use the camera on a tripod and then be able to hold a reflector and/or flash at another spot. Having the sensor on the back of the K20 makes that more practical. On the other hand, if you want to do long exposures using the B mode (bulb), you have to use the wired remote. While I haven't gotten around to doing that yet (the days are just too long right now, since I'm an early-to-bed-early-to-go-to-work person), but there's a couple of things I want to experiment with where I'd need the wired remote for. Right now I use the wireless remote mostly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:45 PM   #7

I too have both the K100 and K20. The K100 has been getting little use, with the K20 around. I have found that the "P" mode, which provides the ability to vary both the exposure time and the aperture via the front and rear wheels, provides a great extension that the K100 does not have. I can also both lock up the mirror, and use HDR (or bracketing) at the same time (they are both on the same K100 function menu so its and either or situation).

I have the infra red wireless remote and the wired remote. The wired remote is used most often because, it does not get lost as easily (the IR remote is very small) and I take long duration images at night, so the wireless has a little snap where by I can push the release and snap it in so that I will not have to hold down the button for the entire duration.

I am also considering getting a more advanced remote that has a timer built in. The reason for this is that after setting up the camera, I can vary the shutter times via the remote, rather than touching the body shutter wheel. This is very handy when I am taking a series of images with a variety of exposure times.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:10 AM   #8

I have the wireless remote. I use with my K10D and KM. Works well with both of them.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:46 AM   #9

If you 've already spent the money on the K20, just use. You'll never go back to the K100. Or, at least I haven't. It's nice to have so many of the features right on the camera rather than having to find in the menus.

I have only the wireless remote. I do use it when I'm on the tripod. Figure if I'm using the tripod for steady shots, may as well make them as steady as possible. Only thing is I wish it had a hole in it to attach a string. I'm constantly worrying about where I put it and not lose it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
If you 've already spent the money on the K20, just use. You'll never go back to the K100. Or, at least I haven't. It's nice to have so many of the features right on the camera rather than having to find in the menus.

Patty
I guess today's the day then. Kids are spending the day with family, husband's working...great time to give a new camera undivided attention.