Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:23 AM   #11

Hey Patty,
Don't delete, External hard drives are so cheap at the moment, at least I think so. 1Tb usb 2 drives for about A$200!
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
It's funny you chose to ask this question at this particular time because I just checked my total shutter actuations on my K20 yesterday morning...a few over 71K since I got the camera...
Paul
How do you check the shutter actuations?
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:45 AM   #13

Simon - Yeah, I've been looking for a good 1T drive. But, I'm still going to have to weed through what's good to keep permanently on the hard drive in the computer or at least on my laptop that only has a 250 GB drive. I had just bought a .5T portable drive to use for my laptop since my 160GB portable backup drive was too small. This is mostly because I've been shooting RAW more and more lately.

And, one of my projects this summer was to finish scanning all the old family photos and getting them to DVD for everyone. There are thousands.

jnanpentaxfan - I just checked the numbers on the photos I took at the end of each year. I keep the numbered format for my photos.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Simon - Yeah, I've been looking for a good 1T drive. But, I'm still going to have to weed through what's good to keep permanently on the hard drive in the computer or at least on my laptop that only has a 250 GB drive. I had just bought a .5T portable drive to use for my laptop since my 160GB portable backup drive was too small. This is mostly because I've been shooting RAW more and more lately.

And, one of my projects this summer was to finish scanning all the old family photos and getting them to DVD for everyone. There are thousands.

jnanpentaxfan - I just checked the numbers on the photos I took at the end of each year. I keep the numbered format for my photos.

Patty
OK. That's a problem for me because I made the mistake of putting a memory card in that had been in another camera. My K10D was new and only had a couple of hundred pics, but it then started recording the successive images as 9800, etc. I figured out how to reset the image number (a very convoluted, confusing process on the K10D), but I'm off by some unknown amount now. I was hoping that there was a way to check the actual numer of shutter releases.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
OK. That's a problem for me because I made the mistake of putting a memory card in that had been in another camera. My K10D was new and only had a couple of hundred pics, but it then started recording the successive images as 9800, etc. I figured out how to reset the image number (a very convoluted, confusing process on the K10D), but I'm off by some unknown amount now. I was hoping that there was a way to check the actual numer of shutter releases.
Hi jpf,

There's a free program called PhotoMe that reads ALL the exif information and shows the actual number of shutter actuations from your camera.

http://www.photome.de/

The Shutter Count field is located about 1 3/4 screens down from the Manufacturer Notes heading (there's a lot of information, so it takes a while to find this).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:20 PM   #16

Hi Les,

I've got about 38,000 on my DS, 20,000 on my K10, 30,000 on my K20 and 1,000 on my K100DS, so a total of about 89,000 in almost 5 years. This averages out to close to 350/wk, or about 50 shots/day -- Hard to believe that I have taken the equivalent of about 2 rolls of film per DAY for 5 yrs!!!!!!! I think that I'm a bit out of the ordinary though, as I normally take a whole lot of shots of the same subject when the opportunity presents itself -- I burned over 1,000 shots per set shooting the baby tigers and baby polar bear respectively at the zoo a while ago. . . and a few hundred each of herons who are too busy looking for food to get spooked by me moving around is not unusual.

I have slowed down quite a bit though, and I probably am currently averaging only less than 200/wk now, but I'm getting a much higher percentage of keepers, and the best of these are significantly better than those from way back when. . . the jump from 6 to 14.6MP, a couple of FA* long teles, the experience gained from 89,000 shots, and working out an effective PP workflow have, of course, played their part in this. . .

Scott
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi jpf,

There's a free program called PhotoMe that reads ALL the exif information and shows the actual number of shutter actuations from your camera.

http://www.photome.de/

The Shutter Count field is located about 1 3/4 screens down from the Manufacturer Notes heading (there's a lot of information, so it takes a while to find this).

Scott
Thanks, Scott. I'll download it and get the actual totals! By the way, I'm where you were, taking an excessive amount of pics trying to get a few keepers. Hopefull, as my experience increases and my lenses get replaced by higher quality lenses, I'll take fewer with more keepers as well.

Jerry
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
Thanks, Scott. I'll download it and get the actual totals! By the way, I'm where you were, taking an excessive amount of pics trying to get a few keepers. Hopefull, as my experience increases and my lenses get replaced by higher quality lenses, I'll take fewer with more keepers as well.

Jerry
WOW! I just downloaded the Photome software and it's GREAT! DOUBLE THANKS!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:59 PM   #19

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi jpf,

Scott
Hi Scott, thanks for the link to this program. I looked however for a heading called Manufacture Notes and could not find it...I see headings titled JPEG, Image,Camera, etc, but none called Manufacturer Notes...
Would appreciate your assistance...thanks!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Hi Scott, thanks for the link to this program. I looked however for a heading called Manufacture Notes and could not find it...I see headings titled JPEG, Image,Camera, etc, but none called Manufacturer Notes...
Would appreciate your assistance...thanks!
Hi jelpee,

Here's a screenshot of the top of the PhotoMe window. Just under the top of the screen, you'll see buttons for Image, Thumbnail Info, Camera, Manufacturer's Notes, Interoperability, and Print Image Matching. Clicking on the Manufacturer Notes button will scroll you down to this section -- the Shutter Count field is about 1 3/4 screens down from the top of the section.

If yours doesn't look like this (it's the latest update, and I've opened a K20 image in it), then I'm baffled

BTW, the exif data section headers differ between models (they used different versions of exif to create them), but I've been able to find the shutter count in all the Pentax DSLR images from the DS to the K20 under Manufacturer Notes.

Scott
Attached Images