Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:15 AM   #21

Scott,

Cool program. I had a chance to look around in it this morning. I like that it displays which lens manufacturer was used. The Pentax Browser just puts dashes. Some of my lenses overlap, so I may not remember which I used.

Just as a note - I did find my shutter count at just under 1/2 way down the screen. If I center the shutter count line on my screen, the bottom of the scroll bar on the right is just at the point where the shutter count displays. I downloaded it last night and did the updates afterward. This is using an image from the K20. I have a 19" monitor set at 1280 x 1024.

Thanks for sharing this. Patty

p.s. Wondering - the shutter actuations on my last image states 4067, but the count of the images says 3780. I was pretty sure I had always left the image name as the count. So, I checked my first image taken back in December and the shutter acutation says 245. Even the difference between those two is not the same. My curious mind wants to know why the difference?

Last edited by nhmom; Jul 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:03 AM   #22

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I finally figured it out with some poking around the website. As it turns out, the manufacturer's notes apparently appear only on unprocessed images. Therefore when I went into my archives and selected an image that had not been edited, the tab appeared and I was able to see the shutter count (although it appeared less than I thought, i.e. 2600 range). According to the discussion forum on their website, the use of any PP removes the shutter count, etc from the data. Let me know if your experience is the same...

re. the actual count, the data being reported is not correct. For ex. I went back to some test pictures from my K20D when I first purchased it in June 2008 and the shutter count reads in the 8,000 range...it almost appears that my K20D was picking up the image sequence from when I switched my SD card from my DL to the K20D. Therefore, I wonder if it is actually reading shutter count or simply image number???

Thanks

Last edited by Wingman; Jul 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 5:42 PM   #23

Looks like I'm the exception to the rule here. I'll go days -- sometimes even weeks -- without shooting a single picture. Then when I get some free time (all to rare) I'll take a couple hundred pictures in half a day.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
p.s. Wondering - the shutter actuations on my last image states 4067, but the count of the images says 3780. I was pretty sure I had always left the image name as the count. So, I checked my first image taken back in December and the shutter acutation says 245. Even the difference between those two is not the same. My curious mind wants to know why the difference?
Hi Patty,

Apparently, most Pentax DSLRs have a couple hundred shutter actuations when brand new due to the Quality Control and calibration testing done during the production process.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:25 PM   #25

Thanks, Scott. I was suspecting that might be the case. Glad to hear that.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi jpf,

There's a free program called PhotoMe that reads ALL the exif information and shows the actual number of shutter actuations from your camera.

http://www.photome.de/

Scott
Thank you so much! That's such a useful software indeed. Now I can say my average a week, which is about a hundred. Having to write at least a hundred words a day, sure, I'd be a lazy one if I were a writer
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote