Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:14 AM   #1

Default How many pictures do you take per week ?

In the Spring, Summer and Fall I generally take about 500-700 pix per week,
with my K10D and about 50-100 per week with my KM (K2000).

So far both camera bodies are working fine...don't know the total shutter actuations on either one.

What are your approximate numbers ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:30 AM   #2

Normal without going anywhere special it's around 200 a week / 25 keepers.
On vacation it's more around 1600 a week / 400 keepers.
(the keep ratio is higher because I'm not the only one deciding to keep them)

nr of image kept for the last years are
2005 - 1097
2006 - 1233
2007 - 1322
2008 - 1396
2009 - (already up to) 1200

normally jan/feb are far below the 100 keepers.

Ronny

Last edited by rhermans; Jul 9, 2009 at 4:34 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3

It's funny you chose to ask this question at this particular time because I just checked my total shutter actuations on my K20 yesterday morning...a few over 71K since I got the camera in early May 2008. That works out to about 1150 shots per week on average, or about 160 shots a day. Those numbers are inflated, however, by the times I've used the camera for shooting sports, when I click off very large numbers of shots with a very low keep percentage.

In the 2+ weeks I've been in Hawaii, I've shot nearly 3K. So far, I've selected 356 for preliminary edits. That number will rise when I get homeand have better editing tools at my disposal and have more time to look more critically at some of the shots. (For instance, there were a couple of places I shot that had difficult lighting that I didn't even attempt to edit on my tiny laptop.)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:58 PM   #4

I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't know what the reliable shutter actuation rate is for the K10-K20 but, I've noticed that some of the Pro Canon and Nikon's are rated at 100,000 actuation's. (some as much as 250,000) assuming we can get 100,000... and I can easily shoot 1000 shots a week ( I take that many in a good day of shooting) but, lets go with a thousand shots average per week... that would mean in less than two years my camera would be shot! ( no pun intended) technically speaking. That's kinda unsettling.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't know what the reliable shutter actuation rate is for the K10-K20 but, I've noticed that some of the Pro Canon and Nikon's are rated at 100,000 actuation's. (some as much as 250,000) assuming we can get 100,000... and I can easily shoot 1000 shots a week ( I take that many in a good day of shooting) but, lets go with a thousand shots average per week... that would mean in less than two years my camera would be shot! ( no pun intended) technically speaking. That's kinda unsettling.
I, too, have seen the 100K figure for shutter actuations. I know that's a rating based on an average, but I don't know what real-world experiences have been. I've also been concerned because there were some shutter problems on the early production K20's (I had to send my first one back because of shutter issues.). That's one of the reasons I've sort of kept an eye on total shutter clicks.

However, if we assume your math is correct for a large number of Pentax users, can we really believe that Pentax won't have new products that will have us salivating at least every two years, anyway?

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:39 PM   #6

However, if we assume your math is correct for a large number of Pentax users, can we really believe that Pentax won't have new products that will have us salivating at least every two years, anyway?

Paul[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately... Yeah.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:03 PM   #7

I have no idea what my average is. I have well over 12,000 on the K20, it's been getting more use since I've been playing around with HDR. The K100 only has about 7,000 total on it - while it was my primary camera for a while, it's been a back-up most of the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:49 PM   #8

I quit keeping track waaay back. Somewhere between 100 and 200 thousand by now. I was shooting 300-400 per day for a while there.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:13 PM   #9

My counts so far:

on the K100 bought in Aug 2006
2006 - 1900
2007 - 7980
2008 - 6200

On the K20 bought end of Dec 2008

thru Apr 2009 - approx 2000
May until now - 1700

Mostly take between 300-500 on day trips I would guess. A lot of the 1700 taken in recent months were two trips to California. At this rate I won't hit the 100,000 mark any time soon. Although, I realized the other day I can't back up my photos to my 200GB backup drive any more. They don't fit! I really need to start deleting some things.

I've often wondered if there was a limit to the number of shots you could get out a DSLR.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:20 AM   #10

I haven't done any counting, but I know for sure that I shoot less now than some years ago. When I bought my DS 2005 I clicked away like mad, happy about the freedom of not having to send in the film and pay development.
But now I'm more and more going back to old film habits, not clicking if the picture isn't likely to come out well. The keeper rate is still pretty low, but have of course risen. I'm satisfied if an outing or session ends up with one keeper (unless it's an event to be documented). I always shoot RAW, so maybe it's the job with post-processing that keeps me more disciplined at the clicking phase.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote