Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:49 PM   #1

Default I Fly Out Tonight

The time left on my Hawaiian vacation can now be measured in hours instead of days. I hope I haven't bored too many with my "What I did on my vacation" postings, but the opportunities for photos here are simply overwhelming.

To a great extent, we have avoided the tourist meccas like Waikiki on this trip, preferring the relative solitude of the Windward Coast and North Shore, but we did dip our toes in the touristy pool with a visit to Sea Life Park. To those who have visited the Sea World parks, Sea Life Park would be a major disappointment, but for us, it was a pleasant few hours. And, the setting for the dolphin show can't be beat

I just couldn't stop clicking my shutter on these guys.... definitely a different form of action shooting

The dolphin photos are taken with the K20 and Tamron 70-300 with circular polarizer...minimal processing.

One of the highlights of the park is a 300K gallon reef aquarium. Many of the shots I took of activity there will have to await Lightroom when I get home, but this ray came right up next to the glass. (Shot with Sigma 18-50 f/2.8)

Since I've posted a couple of sequences with my son's dog Kira and her efforts to learn to catch a frisbee, it's somehow appropriate that I complete the story and report that the shepherd mix conquered the skill rapidly and the frisbee quickly became her favorite toy. My son has to store it on a high shelf, under which she now sits and cries, begging people to throw it for her. As for catching it......

Mahalo for looking and for all the comments.

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; Jul 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:25 PM   #2

Paul,

Wonderful series! All the pictures from your trip make me want to visit Hawaii.

The action shots of the dolphins are great. I wouldn't want to meet that Ray face to face but the picture is beautifully done.

As for Kira I think she is biting down a little hard on that Frisbee. I think perhaps you need to get you grand dog a case of them!!!!

Have a safe trip home.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:38 PM   #3

Wow!
These are great photos Paul. Whatever you're doing, keep it up.
The first one of Kira looks down right vicious!
The dolphins and the ray are outstanding.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:15 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice series finale! I especially like # 1 for its composition elements--very postcard like! Have enjoyed sharing in your travels through your posts.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:49 PM   #5

Wonderful, Paul. I'll excuse you for forgetting to bring me along since you've been sharing these beautiful shots. I really like the first one. And, the sting ray is great, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:43 PM   #6

Excellent series! Kira sure got the hang of catching the frizbee, though she sure doesn't have a retriever's soft mouth. She doesn't care, she's having too much fun.

Thanks for sharing your vacation - I've never been to Hawaii and I've enjoyed your visit. Where else can I go to get a travel fix when I have to work?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:28 AM   #7

Paul, thanks for taking us with you on your vacation. I have enjoyed your postings a lot.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:15 AM   #8

Lovely pic's Paul. It's the middle of winter here so it's great to see some beautiful sun & scenes.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:19 AM   #9

All good vacations must come to an end, and ours ended yesterday with an exhausting day of long flights in incredibly small airline seats (they definitely use smaller posteriors than mine to determine the proper width of an airline seat), near embarrassments at TSA checkpoints (I felt like one of my high school sudents grasping his pants to keep them from falling off after having to take off my belt for scanning), tight connections at LAX and DFW, and incredibly bad airline food. Within thirty minutes of passing through my front door, I was passed out in my recliner for three hours.

This morning, I had a chance to go back through the shots I edited using my little nine-inch Acer laptop. My overall impression was pleasure at how close I had gotten working only with JPEG's and that tiny screen. I shot all of my vacation shots in RAW+, but didn't have the capability of RAW processing on the little computer. There are definitely some that I will re-edit, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the overall quality, and it gives me confidence in the little machine for times when I need to do field processing. Definite aids, though, were two purchases I made in Hawaii--an external optical mouse and a 500 GB USB-powered external hard drive.

I have to share with you an incident at the Honolulu airport. Brenda and I had to turn in our rental car early and had a long wait before our 10 PM flight. We struck up a conversation with a couple of other folks in similar situations and the subject inevitably (with me in the conversation) got to photography. One of them pulled up my SmugMug site on her laptop and my already inflated head swelled even more with her comment, "These are the Hawaii pictures I WISH I had taken." She and the other traveler both wanted info on how they could purchase large prints of some of the wider landscape shots to use in decorating their homes.

I want to thank everyone for all the nice comments. The last person I want to be is the neighbor we have all had--the guy who invites you over for dinner, feeds you, then hangs up a bedsheet and pulls out ten carousels of slides, saying "Wanna see pictures of my vacation?" Still, it is a pleasure to share, and get feedback from, a talented group of photographers who share a committment to improving the quality of their images.

Paul
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Excellent series! Kira sure got the hang of catching the frizbee, though she sure doesn't have a retriever's soft mouth. She doesn't care, she's having too much fun.

Thanks for sharing your vacation - I've never been to Hawaii and I've enjoyed your visit. Where else can I go to get a travel fix when I have to work?
I was actually surprised to find out that one of Kira's parents was a full-blooded golden retriever and the other a German shepherd. She certainly shows more of the shepherd than the retriever.

I think all of us enjoy the vicarious pleasure of experiencing new parts of the world through the photos of others on this forum. Beauty takes many different forms and can be found in so many different settings that none of us can ever hope to visit them all in person. Our Pentaxes give us a little window onto that beauty.

Paul