Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Default K 7 First Impressions

I tried out the K 7 last nigh in a dimly lit room in my home and today in the field at Loxahatchee. The camera felt great in hand with my Sigma 24 60mm f2.8, DA 300mm, and DA limiteds. I like the smaller size. I do not subscribe to the idea that a larger camera feels better with a larger lens. When I hand hold my Sigma 150 500mm I am holding the lens, not the camera. Only need my right hand to steady the camera and push the shutter release. I had to get used to the new location for the menu button, but now prefer the new position. I do not like having to go into the menu to disable the SR. I have not tried any of the new features yet, just getting familiar with my usual uses. In dim light the focus seemed faster then the K20D with the Sigma 24 60mm f2.8, and DA limited lenses. In the field I did not feel the focus was different then the K20D on my Sigma 150 500mm. My overall impression is positive, but you still have to work with limitations, as with all cameras. One note, In Loxahatchee Today the sky was totally overcast, I was not able to use slower then ISO 800 since I was hand holding the Sigma 150 500mm along with trying to get BIF shots. That is the only lens I used today. I will post some ISO 800, 1600, and 3200 samples and some BIF’s in some other threads.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Were you taking these in raw or jpg? Also, which image tone settings are you using if using jpg? I'm curious what settings you are going to be using.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:45 AM   #3

Default Raw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Were you taking these in raw or jpg? Also, which image tone settings are you using if using jpg? I'm curious what settings you are going to be using.
I always shoot in RAW so trhe camera settings will only effect the imbeded JEPeg images. I left the settings in default (all dead center but contrast and sharpness that were at +1 as camera came).

I used raw + jpeg until I got the Instant JPEG from raw program on my computer, it extracts the imbeded JPEG so fast I just shoot RAW now.

Ed
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:57 AM   #4

I go back and forth with it, mostly shooting raw. Right now I've been shooting jpg because I've been posting un-touched files for people to evaluate, I'll most likely go back to shooting raw only for a while. I did think that the image tone modes are slightly different with the K-7, just tweaked a bit. I was wondering what you thought about it.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ed, these images look a bit "harsh"..i.e. I've seen far better IQ from your K20D and K-M. Image #2 looks a tad blurred as well. Is it a result of cropping or the IS0 800?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Ed, these images look a bit "harsh"..i.e. I've seen far better IQ from your K20D and K-M. Image #2 looks a tad blurred as well. Is it a result of cropping or the IS0 800?
It was the lighting and ISO. These are all full frame.

Ed
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:44 PM   #7

The reason I asked about what you were using - I like the last one, but think it looks a bit over-saturated. I thought the bright mode for jpg had been tweaked a bit to where I wasn't as crazy about it and switched to natural. It's tweaked a bit so that I like it better - it probably has to do with the improved white balance. But if you took these raw, then it's probably more the conditions you were shooting under.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:52 PM   #8

Hey Ed,
Congrats on the new K7!
I really like the last one. wish I could get that sharp a pic at 500mm hand held!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:21 PM   #9

Nice pics, Ed. If you don't mind my asking, are you pleased overall with the K7? And, just as I asked Mtngal, do you find that the autofocus is significantly improved over the K20?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Nice pics, Ed. If you don't mind my asking, are you pleased overall with the K7? And, just as I asked Mtngal, do you find that the autofocus is significantly improved over the K20?
I do like the K 7 overall. I find the auto focus noticably better in low light and with screw drive lenses. Suprisingly the sdm lenses do not feel much different except in low light with the assist lamp. The high resolution LCD is really nice. It does feel right but I will still not use ISO 3200 and higher.

Ed