Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:42 AM   #11

bahadir - I think the difference was the fact that the K20 was inconsistent with stop-down metering and manual lenses - the K20's picture is less exposed than the K-7. It was fair with this lens but horrible with the SMC 24mm 2.8. Better than the K10, but not by all that much. These were both f22 - both cameras underexposed at f32, the K-7 more than the K20. Other than that, all of the K-7 pictures looked exactly alike (other than the change in DOF).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:29 PM   #12

It wouldn't surprise me if the video mode could only be used for a short time before ruining the sensor.

The live mode on the K20D is only for a short time to avoid sensor damage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 3:56 PM   #13

Thanks, Harriet. Even though at this time I have no interest in the K7 having just bought the K20, it's nice to hear a review from someone I know and respect.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:08 PM   #14

Well, I couldn't reproduce the fault I had yesterday, so I'm pretty sure the problem is not strictly heat related. I'm going to contact Pentax tomorrow and see what they say.

Here's what happened to me - I tried live view for a picture I was taking (gotta read more about it - what I tried didn't work the way I expected it to). Then a few minutes later I decided to try the movie mode on some flags (there's a bunch of settings that I should have changed to make that work better). They were both really short (under 20 sec.). Then I started taking regular pictures again, and a line that's a little lighter, and somewhat green appeared right in the middle of the picture, going from top to bottom (when shooting landscape). It was in all of the other pictures I took at the park.

I ended up downloading exiftools last night and finally figured out how to give a command in unix. People think that it's heat related, but after today I know that's not the whole story. The picture I took before the movie showed 34 C, the first one that showed the line was at 36 C. The last one I took at the park, which also showed the line, but it looked like it was fading, was 35 C.

Today I went for a hike (not much for miles, but it took several hours because I kept stopping to take pictures and play with the camera). Not one line on any of them, and when I checked the temperatures of each shot, some were 41 C, and most over 34 C. Not surprising since the air temperature was in the 90's F (or above 32 C) for the last part of the hike. So it's something connected with live view and video recording more than just heat by itself. In some ways, it's a non-issue for me as I don't use either one much and don't expect to. On the other hand, I want to get it fixed.

On one of the other boards, someone said that the first shipment of sensors from Samsung were faulty. I don't think anyone really knows at this point, other than to know that not all cameras show this - there are lots of people who are taking lots of video and using live view and not having a problem.

P.S. Here's an example, 100% crop, I adjusted things a bit to make it more obvious:

The first picture where the line first showed up is at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p330224992.jpg - this is the full sized, straight from the camera jpg file. I was shooting raw+ and the line shows up in both.

Last edited by mtngal; Jul 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM. Reason: added example
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15

Default Hmmm

That's enough to make me want to wait a few months to get the worms out of that puppy. And I have to question what appears to be noise in the background area (on the stem and elsewhere). How would the K20D treat that with the same lens and settings? Would a different setting either in-camera or post-processing resolve the background smoothness?

Thank you for taking time to review and post.

Last edited by gfmucci; Jul 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:25 PM   #16

I think the K20 would have been very similar - the link to the last picture (I assume that's the one that you are asking about) was on the K-7's extended dynamic range setting. They've got two different options - one is highlight compensation and one shadow compensation. Since I was having some trouble with highlights getting blown out, I was experimenting with the highlight compensation. The K20's extended dynamic range would have introduced more noise, I think (I never liked it). I was expecting (hoping) that the K-7 wouldn't introduce noise for the highlight compensation, but it does. Off the top of my head, I think it is better than how I remembered the K20 to be, but it's been a long time, so I don't really know. I ended up turning it off when I saw this set of pictures.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:37 PM   #17

Very nice post mtngal, i don't know what to think as of yet about the K-7 i hear great things and i hear not so great which is making me dizzy.
I have sold my k20D and am concidering on buying the K-7 but i think i should hold off till at least i read reviews from dpreview, dcresource, or steves, but from what i have seen and k-7 testers on pentax forums the camera can't be beat, i have also seen high ISO 3200 shots that are usable
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Well, I couldn't reproduce the fault I had yesterday, so I'm pretty sure the problem is not strictly heat related. I'm going to contact Pentax tomorrow and see what they say....
That looks like a defective sensor. I've seen that exact problem before in other cameras and can remember seeing a technical explanation for what causes it (although it escapes my memory right this minute).

I'd see if your vendor will replace it for you if you just bought it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:06 PM   #19

I talked to both Pentax and Amazon today. Both are happy to deal with my problem - Amazon will replace it and Pentax will repair it, my choice. I hate choices - I can either get another camera that may or may not have the same problem, or I can have a repaired (or possibly replaced) camera. I can live without a second camera body for the time it takes for the repair as I'm keeping the K20. I must say I was really impressed with Amazon, when I explained that I was leaning toward sending it back to Pentax first, but that the repair would take longer than 30 days, they offered to annotate my file/account that I could still return it if Pentax didn't repair it to my satisfaction and it was beyond the regular 30 days. I ended up deciding to follow my husband's suggestion - I'll return it to Amazon now and if the second one has the same problem, if so, I'll send it in for repair. If it doesn't, then I'll have a new, correctly working camera that much sooner.

JimC - Your comment goes along with the comments that were on another Pentax board - that Samsung's first batch of sensors has turned out to be defective (I'm not the only one who's had the same problem) and that Amazon got a bunch of them. Hopefully, Amazon will ship me one from a different batch, I hope that Pentax has had enough time to identify the serials numbers that would have been affected and notified Amazon which ones to return/not sell.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:22 PM   #20

Very nice review and write up. Sorry to hear about your K-7. I just got my K20 last week (surprise "update" gift from my lovely bride of 42 years), and it is quite a camera, as you well know. I'm "upgrading" from the K100D.

In looking at your exif, I do have 1 question. I notice that you have your name in the data. Can you share with me please how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Tom
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote