Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Here's a rock that really appealed to me on our recent trip to Nova Scotia. I believe it's a banded gneiss that has been intruded by a vein of granite. It's beautiful in its own right, but when I think about the unimaginable tectonic forces involved in creating this beautiful specimen, I'm awed.
Now that's sweet!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:06 PM   #12

"Here's a rock that really appealed to me on our recent trip to Nova Scotia. I believe it's a banded gneiss that has been intruded by a vein of granite. It's beautiful in its own right, but when I think about the unimaginable tectonic forces involved in creating this beautiful specimen, I'm awed."

Coming from Nova Scotia, I'm trying to place the location. Somewhere along the Bay of Fundy shore perhaps (great lobster pound/restaurant there at Hall's Harbour)?

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:20 PM   #13

Bluenose, my photo was taken at a picnic spot in Cape Bretton Island National Park, along the Cabot Trail, south of Neils Harbour, but north of Ingonish. It's a nice area with a trail leading off from a parking area, and picnic tables every 20 or 30 meters along the trail. I remember that there was a stream with water the color of tea flowing into the ocean at this spot, and I thought that was very interesting. I wish I could remember the location more exactly, but that's about the best I can do. I'll check some maps to see if I can nail it down better than this fairly vague description.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:42 AM   #14

Thanks, you've narrowed down the location well enough. Between Neil's Harbour and Ingonish there's Black Brook Cove, Bluff Head, MacKinnon's Cove, Boiler Point, Green Cove, Broad Cove and Red Point.

It's been quite a few years since I've been around the Trail but I still remember the scenery and the views.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:39 PM   #15

Yes, now that you've named a few places I remember that I took my photo at the Black Brook Cove picnic area. By the way, the night before we picked up our daughter in Wolfville, we had dinner at the lobster pound restaurant you mentioned in Halls Harbour. It was one of the few clear sunny evenings we had on the trip. We sat on the deck and watched the tremendous tide change as we ate a delicious seafood dinner. We can't wait to return.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:21 AM   #16

Hi Cameanee, I like that photo!
cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:17 PM   #17

Some great & very diverse shots here - shows such fine and varied interpretation of a simple "challenge," and also shows some great talent. Keep 'em coming!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:17 PM   #18

Ok, had little time to work with my K2000 and new lens, but thought I would submit for this month's challenge. Here's my idea of rock!

Taken with:
K2000, Sigma 17-70 mm
Attached Images

maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:57 PM   #19

What fun these pictures are! I love the various creative ways of expressing the idea of "rock". There's a few more that could be included, I'll have to think of something. I do have a rock picture taken last weekend, but kept hoping I'd get something better. We'll see...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:04 PM   #20

HI All

Heres my attempt for this Month. I Had to Clone out a rather annoying Guard rail behind the Rock. If this is an Issue I Will remove this and post the original.
Anyway this rock was the pet project of several Kids Living on What Else "Punkup Road". The kids were bored and wanted Something to do.
As you can see our New England weather has taken a toll on the paint. but when Completed in 2005 It was a fantastic paint job.

Phil
Attached Images

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote