Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:23 AM   #1

Default July monthly challenge

Thanks again to all who voted in June.

Since I am relatively new to all this, please feel free to correct/edit my plans for the July challenge!

I believe the rules are: "Pictures are to be sized 800 pixels on their longest side, be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR, and be taken within the last 90 days."

Theme for this month: ROCK

Feel free to interpret this as literally or as poetically as you like!

Here is a (very literal) sample, just to get the "boulder" rolling (taken this week at Sam's Creek):
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:53 AM   #2

I think I'll interpret this one rather literally. I sure hope I DON'T have an opportunity to photograph the earth rocking - it's been a long time since I've been around a damaging earthquake and I hope this topic isn't an omen that we'll have one this month!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Someone had set up this collection of rocks on the beach in Orient Point, NY and I thought it made for a nice picture and now seems to fit well into the theme for July's challenge! K20D + Sigma 70-300mm APO DG. For now at least, let me use it as a place holder.
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4

jelpee, that photo is beautiful! the stack of rocks with the one smaller one in the middle sets up a dynamic question of balance, especially when so situated on the crack in the stump. although generally i steer away from photos whose point of interest is directly in the center of the photo, in this case it ads greatly to the question of balance (in this case compositional balance, i guess) as does the fact that the blue above the rocks almost exactly matches the size of the stump at the bottom. maybe i am over-anylizing, but if this is just your placeholder, i am way excited to see what you have taken that is better!

mole- not to ignore your picture altogether. yours is pretty, i love the way you've captured the rocks softened by the lichen and moss, giving them a robert frost sort of poetry. the curve on the lower right rock and the way it is positioned within the frame is the best part compositionally, i think.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:40 PM   #5

Jelpee - a wonderful shot! I love it, and you'd have to really get lucky to have a better one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 5:01 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Vole and Harriet: With comments like yours' I guess I'm going to have to keep this as my entry! I wish I could take credit for the sculpture which really caught my eye--who ever who set it up was no where in sight. I was equally impressed by how the rocks had been stacked to stay balanced on their own.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:17 PM   #7

Default Stone Face

Thanking mtngal for the heads up, I am making a second post with this photo. Taken at Pemaquid Point/Lighthouse last week of June. The humanlike appearance caught my eye.

Regards
Attached Images

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:00 PM   #8

jelpee, I love it!
It's just a guess but I'd bet some child stacked those up just playing around.
My daughter use to do things like that and I was always amazed at some of the things she'd come up with. I think it has something to do with being uninhibited as a child.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:12 PM   #9

Here's a rock that really appealed to me on our recent trip to Nova Scotia. I believe it's a banded gneiss that has been intruded by a vein of granite. It's beautiful in its own right, but when I think about the unimaginable tectonic forces involved in creating this beautiful specimen, I'm awed.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:40 AM   #10

Bluenose, good eye. Reminds me of the Rock Biter from Neverending Story. Taking liberties with the subject, Scott Huckabee at our town's July 4 celebration. K2000.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote