Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:29 PM   #1

Default My K100 will no longer shoot in raw

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I spent a very rainy week in Nova Scotia, and while we were there, something went wrong with my K100D. I had it set to raw, and it simply stopped taking pictures. We were on a puffin-watching trip, and I could not get the camera to take a picture. In desperation I switched to jpeg mode, and to my great relief it worked fine. It still works fine in jpeg mode, but not at all in raw.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on? I don't mind too much having to use jpeg mode only, but now I'm starting to wonder if the camera is going to be very reliable. We don't have any more major trips planned for the rest of the summer, but even hanging around home if I see something interesting, I want to know the camera will work.

I have not been around very much on this forum, and I apologize for that. I'll try to post some Nova Scotia pictures soon.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:40 PM   #2

The only thing that occurs off-hand is to try a different (new) SD card - perhaps the card is damaged and can't handle the larger files? I can't see how there would be something in the camera that would cause only the raw to not work, except that perhaps some part of the processor got damaged somehow? I just don't think that would happen just because of some wet weather. Of course, if you are in such conditions, it sure helps to have a weather sealed camera!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:11 PM   #3

Hey Mtnman,
It's time to face the facts. I's time to demote the K100 to being the back-up camera and buy the new K7. Sorry but, I don't see any other alternative.
It's OK, tell the wife you got the word from a highly experienced professional on Pentax cameras and there is no other way around it. If you need me to, I'll be happy to call her and explain it to her.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4

Has to be in the programing. Try reseting the camera, check for firmware update. Otherwise, unless you have warranty, it would be an expensive and lengthy repair . Even if you have updated firmware try updating it again anyway. Trying a different SD card is a good idea too.
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:00 PM   #5

Not that I've had that problem, but I was thinking the same thing. Maybe reinstalling the software updates would revive it. Although, it would make me wonder what had happened to make that happen.

Hope you get it figured out. I'm with you, what else might not work next.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies folks. Unfortunately, replacing the SD card doesn't do the trick. I am using the latest firmware, but I haven't tried re-loading it. To add to the mystery, here's one of the last raw files the camera did record. I have no idea what caused the bizarre "halo" around the eagle. I have spent some time working with this file, and I think it's beyond hope. If this is the quality I would be getting with raw, I guess I'm better of with jpeg only mode.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 7:48 PM   #7

Things you may want to try.

Try re-setting the camera to the Pentax default settings.

Format the SD card in your camera.

Take the batteries out for ten minuets and re-install fresh batteries.

Make shore the SD card did not accidently lock.

Remove batteries, SD card and open all doors and let the camera air dry. Excessive moisture could be the culprit as a result of your trip and taking pictures in a rainy damp environment. Try also running a hair dryer and blowing the warm dry air into the openings of the camera being careful not to get the hot air close enough or hot enough to overheat anything.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:31 PM   #8

...and call Pentax service. They may give you some useful advice over the phone. And they might say "send it in...for $100 bucks we will reboot and recalibrate everything."

But, if it were me, I would be very tempted to use this as an excuse to get the K7. Maybe Pentax will tell you it will cost $300 to fix. Then you will feel better spending $1,300.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:46 AM   #9

Yeah I would try removing the batteries too but leave them out over night. Taking a hair dryer to it is not a bad idea. That kind of moisture can wreek havoc. Also try fresh batteries.. again moisture can damage them. When all else fails yup give Pentax a call.
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hey Mtnman,
It's time to face the facts. I's time to demote the K100 to being the back-up camera and buy the new K7. Sorry but, I don't see any other alternative.
It's OK, tell the wife you got the word from a highly experienced professional on Pentax cameras and there is no other way around it. If you need me to, I'll be happy to call her and explain it to her.
why the k7 ??
you can get the k20 for less than half price..
it's what i did along with a few others.. if i want video i'll use my fuji s7000..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote