Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:36 PM   #21

Hi GW-

Yes, my husband, Bradley, is a saint. He never complains when I use him as my subject. He has been seen in the Forum many times.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:53 AM   #22

Default Flash Tutorial

I changed lenses tonight and mounted the Nikon 24-120mm in place of the Nikon 18-200mm lens. The results were very similar to the former lens. Tell me what you think, please?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:48 AM   #23

On my monitor, the second one looks brighter.

Thanks for the lessons. Now I'll have to figure out where I put my flash. Can't quickly find it this morning. Then, I'll experiment tonight with the lesson.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:24 PM   #24

Patty-

Good luck on the search for the mislaid flash unit. Yes, there is a difference between the two photos. The difference was created by the ambient lighting in the photo scene. The first photo was taken during the daytime with a good deal of "spill" lighting in the room.

The last photo was taken well after sundown. Therefore, the SB-800 was providing the much more (a greater percentage) of the light in the photo. We will revisit this same effect, or problem, when we take a look at using flash fill-in in our out of doors photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:33 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Patty-

Good luck on the search for the mislaid flash unit. Yes, there is a difference between the two photos. The difference was created by the ambient lighting in the photo scene. The first photo was taken during the daytime with a good deal of "spill" lighting in the room.

The last photo was taken well after sundown. Therefore, the SB-800 was providing the much more (a greater percentage) of the light in the photo. We will revisit this same effect, or problem, when we take a look at using flash fill-in in our out of doors photos.

Sarah Joyce
I just wanted to add that it is possible to get a similar photo at any time of the day, it doesn't mean that just because it is daytime that you are going to end up with this result or just because it is evening and less light you end up with the latter. So there are ways to play with the settings to get the result you desire.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:21 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Something that I might have missed but don't think it has been covered is what mode you are suggesting shooting in for flash. Av, Tv, M? This is something that is essential to cover as it can have some major impacts on the photos.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:05 PM   #27

That is an excellent point, Mark-

As any user becomes more, and more familiar with their flash unit and all of its built-in capabilities, they can tweak the flash unit so it can adapt to any and all ambient lighting conditions so as to produce very consistent results.

All of these photos are taken in the P for Programed Auto selected on the camera's Mode Selector.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:19 PM   #28

Default Photo Sample #4

Here is our next photo where we will use our flash unit as a light fill-in tool while using the ambient light for the bulk of our exposure on this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:23 PM   #29

Default Sample Photo #4

Here is a 100% crop of a portion of Bradley's mouth and the left side of his face. This 100% crop allows viewers to zero in on our Sample Photo #4 to have a better judgment point of view as to the camera's resolution capability.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM. Reason: Add the necessary 100% crop photo sample
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:08 PM   #30

Default Photo Sample #5

Here is Photo Sample #5. In this photo we incorporated Mark's suggestions. We tweaked the photo to get greater light output into our photo.

The result is that we obtained a better (more pleasing) exposure. Tell me what you think, please.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images