Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:11 PM   #31

Default 100% crop of the Above Posted Photo

And here is the 100% crop of the above photo for the pixel peepers, showing Bradley's mouth and the left side of his face.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:59 PM   #32

Default Photo Sample #6

Well, I continue to play with ways in which I could improve the sharpness of our photo captures.

For this photo I retained the increased light output of the flash unit. Next I increased the ISO setting to 1000 to get an increased shutter speed during the photo capture.

I think that that formula increased the photo sharpness and the overall look of the photo. What do you think?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:01 PM   #33

Default 100% crop of the Above Posted Photo

So here is a 100% crop of the above posted photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:14 AM   #34

The last one does look sharper to me, Sarah Joyce.

So, when you said you used the flash as fill light, what did you do different? Or, you just mean that you added light with the flash, not just the ambient light.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here is Photo Sample #5. In this photo we incorporated Mark's suggestions. We tweaked the photo to get greater light output into our photo.

The result is that we obtained a better (more pleasing) exposure. Tell me what you think, please.

Sarah Joyce
To be honest, this photo is a bit flat and the WB is off - too yellow.

This is a common mistake when using a mix of ambient and flash (dominated by ambient). It's very difficult for the camera to get the correct WB. The easiest solution to this particular problem is to shoot RAW and adjust the WB in post processing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Well, I continue to play with ways in which I could improve the sharpness of our photo captures.

For this photo I retained the increased light output of the flash unit. Next I increased the ISO setting to 1000 to get an increased shutter speed during the photo capture.

I think that that formula increased the photo sharpness and the overall look of the photo. What do you think?

Sarah Joyce
Again - heres an issue where the ambient light seems to be coming from behind your husband so the back of his head has a yellowish tint that his face does not. This is a good instance where you might want the flash to overpower ambient so you get a consistent WB throughout the frame. As you do so, shutter speed becomes fairly irrelevant (within reason) because the flash itself will stop minor movement. The more you use ambient light in the photo the more you need faster shutter speeds. I also recommend using multiple focus points in low light - contrast levels are often very low and getting multiple points on your subject gives your camera a better shot at getting focus correct.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:42 AM   #37

Search on Amazon.com for flash diffusers I bought a Fong knock off for 19.99. Still waiting for it to arrive.
The diffuser that works for me well is the one made by Joe Dem Products. It is simple and flexible and very very portable.
For me that was worth the money I spent and it has paid back more that what I paid for it. Worth a look
Feroz

Last edited by fghouse2000; Jul 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM.
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:47 AM   #38

Quote:

Sarah Joyce
I agree with your MO here Sarah Joyce...however unfortunately the noise in the photo has also increased noticeably. IMHO, while the lighting may be optimal, the noise in the poicture as a result of the increased ISO makes the picture less practical for use or print.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:37 AM   #39

Hi Patty-

When you are shooting in ambient light, the flash unit is just adding fill-in light. However, as JohnG noted, that make nailing the WB difficult due to the mixed lighting.

Yes, shooting the photo in RAW would make the WB correction easier. However, I am attempting to keep this thread as simple as possible, and RAW processing might be something that is not a common technique utilized by the thread audience.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:42 AM   #40

Hi John G-

Yes you hit right on the obvious WB problem in combining flash with ambient light. I agree that the better and quicker solution might be to just let the Flash Unit become the dominant light source in the photo.

Again, we have no real way of validating the technical skill level of the audience reading this thread. For some the RAW solution, though effective, might be a reach too far.

Sarah Joyce