Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:30 PM   #51

I agree, JimC-

When using bounce flash the camera's ability to calculate the proper exposure does vary from DSLR camera to DSLR camera. Thus, the more light from the preflash the better your chance of getting a right on the mark exposure.

My thought is that the "work around" to keep things more simple might be to use the flash head in the full forward position while equipped with a flash diffuser, whenever your exposure begins to look marginal or completely out of tolerances.

I will be working on that issue today. Thanks a lot for your continuing input.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:44 PM   #52
Administrator

Because of a metering preflash to help judge the length of the main flash burst needed based on reflected light, flash exposure can still be relatively accurate when bouncing. Nikon's flash models like the SB-600 and SB-800 are pretty decent in that area (more accurate than most). Some third party flashes tend to have issues with some digital cameras. But, compatibility seems to be improving as time passes.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:08 PM   #53

Default Photo Sample #7

OK JimC-

Here is Photo Sample #7. This was done with:

*the Flash Head straight forward
* using a Stofen Flash Diffuser
*Mode Selector in the P for Program position
*Using Flash Compensation on the Camera to get the desired exposure

It looks like we got a much more accurate exposure and overcame an possible exposure inaccuracies due to using bounce flash. This is indeed the work around that I posted about earlier.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:10 PM   #54

Default 100% Crop of the Above Posted Photo

For any folks with very sharp eyes, here is a 100% crop of the above posted photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:24 PM   #55

Default Photo Sample #8

OK, here are the same parameters applied to Photo Sample #8, as were applied to Photo Sample #7.

I did this to check for WB accuracy and exposure technique.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:29 PM   #56

Default 100% Crop of the Above Posted Photo

For the sharp eyed members of our group, here is a 100 crop of the above posted photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:11 PM   #57
Super Moderator

With this latest example we see where using P mode is creating a problem. Although the exif is not there I'm guessing it has defaulted to 1/60s and f5.6 with the latter making the dof too narrow. In this situation using M is basically the only way to get the desired result so you can control the aperture and set the shutter speed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:28 PM   #58
Super Moderator

I thought it might be good to show some real world examples of bounce flash. This was taken at a friends wedding so I didn't get much of a chance to grab a photo but it shows that shadows and shape are more natural when bouncing that couldn't be achieved with direct flash (diffuser or no diffuser).

When shooting indoors with flash I always use manual exposure, I set the desired aperture and then an exposure that is a bit below the ambient light to help with separation. This shot was at 70mm and f2.8. The angle at which I bounce is usually so that the centre of the bounce on the ceiling is half way between me and the subject so the closer I am the more vertical I have the flash.

I haven't got any other shots to hand to show but if I find any I will post them as well.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:02 PM   #59
Super Moderator

Another from a recent wedding. I always like to use the combination of flash and slow shutter speeds and a rotation of the camera to create movement around the main subject. The exif should be intact so you can see the exact settings but again it is all manual for the exposure which is set to about 1 or 1.5 stops below ambient and then the flash freezes the subject.

I will admit that I had too much light going forward so there is slightly too harsh shadow for my taste.
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:51 PM   #60

Hi Mark-

Both of your photos are excellent examples. The first is my favorite. I agree totally with you the setting Manual on the Mode Selector is the best way to have realistic and positive control over the photo environment.

My hope had been to provide a simple and easy to execute formula that virtually everyone on the Pentax Forum could handle with ease. But I think that moving to a demonstration of using the Manual Mode will probably be required to demonstrate how to get the very best photos.

Sarah Joyce