Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:59 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Pentax DA 18-250

Got me a Pentax DA 18-250mm (arrived from B&H today) in preparation for some upcoming travels where I want to take minimum gear. So it will be the 18-250 & the DA 10-17 FE. Lens calibration is spot-on with the K20D, but appears to show some slight back focusing with the K10D. Understand that I have very "picky" eyes. Unfortunately, I cannot make focus adjustments on the K10 unlike the K20. But since I'll be mostly shooting F/8, DoF should accomodate the issue.

Here is a sample using the K10 at wide open aperture, max zoom. No PP except for resizing. There is a bit of noise apparent since I was shooting at ISO 800 (fading light). The streaks that are visible are actually spider web strands. I am pleased with the sharpness and color and contrast of this lens. BTW, lens creep does not appear to be an issue on this lens; in case it does become an issue, I have Lou's solution (a rubber band) in hand!
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2

Well, the Pentax 18-250mm, actually a re-badged Tamron lens looks to be very good after looking at your photo sample. After your trip, please give us your real-life evaluation of this lens. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:35 PM   #3

I, too, will be interested in your observations. I thought very, very seriously about buying this lens before my Hawaii trip. Because of the threat of theft in Hawaii, you don't leave anything in a car, so everywhere we went, I had to haul my gear bag if I thought there was even a remote chance I would need a different lens than the one attached to the camera. The 18-250 would have enabled me to leave the bag at my son's very often. More than once, the weight of the bag became an issue.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4

That's quite nice, definitely a keeper! I've always thought that this lens was about as good as you can get for the ultrazoom lenses, and would be quite useable.

My K10 had focus issues with many AF lenses, and I have one lens that seems to back focus with all of my cameras (less so with the K100). I'm delighted that Pentax now allows for adjustments with the camera so it doesn't matter if the problem is the camera or the lens - you can fix it now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:57 AM   #5

At full zoom of 250mm the tiny web strands are quite visable as well as the roughness of the surface especially where the sunlight falls on despite the relatively high iso of 800. I'd, too, buy that lens to shoot the cruise ships I see from my balcony or for concerts and events (I could live with the max aperture of 6.3 given the lightweight and price!) : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:48 AM   #6

Nice one, Jelpee. Glad you got it in time for your trip. Looking forward to many wonderful photos.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:54 PM   #7

Sara Joyce and Paul: Will do on the evaluation. While I'd love to haul my DA*lenses, it is not going to be practical on this trip; also, I am not keen on switching lenses out especially in a tropical ocean atomosphere. I visited the Cayman Islands a few years ago and had trouble with condensation everytime I left an airconditioned location (including my rental car). Therefore, I plan to keep lens switching to a minumum. Was this an issue in Hawaii, Paul? In any event, I hope the 18-250 will work. It is a very compact lens when retracted (about the same length as the 18-55 kit lens; just wider at 62mm diameter).

Harriett: yes, it is too bad that the K10D does not have focus adjustment. Once again, since I'm travelling overseas, I'm opting to take the K10D (vs. my K20D); if I were to lose it or damage it, I'd rather that it not be the K20D.

Patty: The upcoming trip was the incentive to get it...I've been dilly-dallying all Summer about buying this lens. I'll be sure to share some images following my return.

Bahadir: Yes, I too am impressed by the sharpenss at 250mm...I expected some softness.

I'm am unable to haul a tripod. Instead, I'm packing a Gorillapod SLR Zoom which is very sturdy and not with standing the lack of height, is capable of handling the K20D + zoom lens.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:56 PM   #8

Jelpee,

You won't be sorry you got this lens. It is the perfect travel companion. Keep the rubber band handy. The lens is OK new but with time begins to
creep out. Your sample picture looks like you got a fine copy.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Jelpee,

You won't be sorry you got this lens. It is the perfect travel companion. Keep the rubber band handy. The lens is OK new but with time begins to
creep out. Your sample picture looks like you got a fine copy.

Lou
Lou: Thanks for the caution on the lens creep...I was wondering as much over time if lens creep would show up. I'll be sure to have the rubber band handy. =
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:36 PM   #10

jelpee, I'd have to say that's a pretty darn nice lens!
that image is comparable to what I've gotten with the Sig 70-200 f:2.8!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote