Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:49 AM   #11

Jason - Here's what happened to me. If your weather is anywhere as hot as our weather has been, it should show up fairly quickly, like mine did (I would guess). I went over to the park and was taking a bunch of still pictures of the ducks and geese. It was hot but not horrible - high 80's I think. I briefly tried live view to try to get the camera closer to a damsel fly, maybe a minute or so. Not enough to overheat the camera. A few minutes later I wandered over to some flags and tried Movie mode. I took two quick clips - one 12 seconds and one 17 seconds. Again, not long enough for the camera to really overheat. Then I switched back to stills and took about 20 or so more pictures. All of the pictures I took after trying the movie mode had a thin lighter line through the center. I have a couple of examples in the album I've got for the K-7 on zenfolio (I posted links to the various full sized files earlier).

The next day I went hiking for 3 hours in hotter weather - it was in the 90's. I took over 150 single shots, sometimes leaving the camera on and letting it go to standby and sometimes turning it off between pictures. I experimented with a number of 5 frame exposure bracketing shots but did not use live view or movie mode. The line didn't re-appear, and the Camera temperature (according to the exif) got higher than what it reported for the pictures that had the line the previous day (so air temperature by itself isn't the whole story, it's definitely connected to movie mode and possibly live view also).

Last edited by mtngal; Jul 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I don't blame Pentax for not admitting to the possiblity of faulty sensors until they have a handle on what the situation really is -- I wouldn't if I were them -- it would discourage potential buyers and could cause owners with no apparent problem to send theirs in for no reason other than they perceive their camera as having a less than optimal main component.
It discourages me from buying with Pentax not being aware of, and therefore not knowing what the problem is. I would feel more confident if they were aware and I knew fixes were in the works.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:05 AM   #13

One thing I've learned over the years is that you can't fix what you don't know about. It used to drive me nuts when I'd get an irate call from someone who was complaining about a light bulb that had been burned out for 6 weeks. That call would have been the first I knew about it, so my comment back to them was "why didn't you call 6 weeks ago?"

As far as this situation goes, Pentax needs to get their hands on a number of these cameras (probably more than just one), and have time to re-create the problem to analyze what causes it. The camera just shipped last week, and the first reports of problems turned up Thursday or Friday. That means that they've had barely a week to get a number of the cameras back, run them through a series of tests, decide what the problem is and how to fix it. I would suspect that by now they've got a better handle on what's going on and if it were really as simple as a bad batch of sensors, they might have now identified all of the affected cameras. But I seriously doubt they've had enough time to formulate a company policy to deal with it (if it is indeed more than a couple of dozen cameras), even if they've already figured out what's wrong and how to deal with it on a technical level. But then, I work for a bureaucracy so perhaps I'm more used to anything moving rather slowly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:20 AM   #14

I have good news and bad news: the good news is that my wife encouraged me to go ahead and buy the K7 because I have been having such a great time with my K10D, and because I made a killing on selling all the K100's I picked up at the the Wolf store closings.

The bad news is that I ordered it before I knew about this problem, so I have mixed emotions as I wait for the camera to arrive. I'm seriously thinking about returning it without ever opening it and waiting a few more months for the issue to be accurately diagnosed and corrected. I'm was going to sell my K10D, but I'm glad I decided to keep it as a back up.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:55 AM   #15

Troubleshooting Intermittent problems is both science and a black art - and quite frankly a real pain - because you do not know what induces them (user error, what particular environmental factor, and everything in between). mtngal is quit correct, the more samples that Pentax has that exhibits the problem (and include the pictures!!!!) the better chance (and shorter timeframe) Pentax has of identifying and fixing the problem. The EXIF meta data the pictures has embedded in it has some great information, and probably includes some physical temperature information too. Also, if you provide some additional information as to the conditions surrounding use (sequences of use), it may be of help.

I work for a defense contractor, and if consumer products were put through the amount of testing we are required to perform, the prices would simply be unaffordable - hence the old $600 hammer story.

The other item is that Pentax is providing a 3 year warranty on the units - so there is a level of consumer protection. With that, I do not see the problem with a purchase - other than some possible future inconvenience.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:43 PM   #16

I spent some time on the other Pentax forum on the very long discussion thread by people with defective cameras and where Harriet posted her picture of the line (which I couldn't see, but I saw it on some others where it was either indistinct or very visible). Several things I find unsettling: it is spread over a great number of serial numbers; some replacement cameras still have it (one was worse); others showed lines elsewhere than the center, and some more than one; most were associated with live view and/or video, but not all; most were intermittent, but not all. Most disturbing is that Hoya has issued a statement acknowledging that there is a problem, Pentax Germany has issued a statement attributing the problem to overheating of the Samsung made sensor, while Pentax USA is denying there is a problem at all. Some people do not notice it and others are not disturbed by it, but it has to be acknowledged and corrected quickly if Pentax is not to lose all the gains the camera has earned for them in the preliminary notices. There is a lot at stake for the future in market share for the company if people stop buying and retailers get so many back that they stop selling them.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote