Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:54 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty, based on my experience, one really needs a fast lens (i.e f/2.8) and larger to get good IQ at concerts. There is only so much you can up the ISO before it begins to degrade the image. I've been frustrated trying to use my Sigma 70-300 sitting in the audience--I ended up with mediocre pictures, and missed the good parts of the show since I was peering through the view finder. I've decided that in the future, I need to decide whether I'm there to enjoy the show or take pictures. If the former, I'll leave my gear at home. If the latter, I'd need to spend some money and buy me a long fast lens.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:32 AM   #12

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Kjell, Can I borrow your lenses for tonight? My address is........ Or course, there's a huge ocean between us, but.....
Well, it's a bit of trouble doing that. But if you come with Springsteen next time he's over here and get us both back stage passes we can share them for the concert...

jelpee wrote
Quote:
I've decided that in the future, I need to decide whether I'm there to enjoy the show or take pictures. If the former, I'll leave my gear at home.
Exactly my experience too. Not only for concerts, but for any occasion like museum visits, nature hikes or social events.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:01 AM   #13

If you can stay close, the 50 will give you some great results. An using flash will make the other lenses usable. I find that M is the best setting unless the lighting is constantly changing. Others have far more experience with concerts than I do.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:05 AM   #14

Patty,

You may want to take your K100D as it is perhaps better at high ISO. I had excellent results at me granddaughter's school play by shooting with available light at ISO 1600 and 3200. I was able to clean the shots up with noise reduction software. I also shot in raw to allow for WB correction.

Good Luck,

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:23 AM   #15

Kjell - I'd love to. But, I don't have an "in" with Springsteen. Maybe I could talk to Mike.

Ira - For the flash, I have the Pentax360. I've had such horrible luck with using it that I'm not confident I'd actually get any shots. Although, I did bring it with me. I'm assuming it would only be helpful if I was at the front of the stage.

Lou - I didn't bring the K100 with me. At work right now. But, might be able to get my son to bring it when he comes down. Although, not sure the batteries are charged in it. Does it really do better on higher ISO than the K20? Those shots I posted above were at ISO1600. I haven't really done much high ISO with the K20.

I am thinking, if we are outdoors and it's humid, I must just do as Jehan and Kjell said and just enjoy the show. One thing I hate is humidity. And, my lung issues don't help to deal with it any.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote