Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:28 PM   #21

Thanks everybody for your comments, I took some more pix this afternoon and I'll post some more soon as I can.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:01 PM   #22

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

GW...let me know your thoughts on the lack of internal focusing on this lens. How's the noise as well...compared to a regular Pentax Internal Focusing lens and also the HSM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:58 PM   #23

jelpee,
It does have internal focusing and noise is less than my 55-300mm and much quicker.

Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Unless I am mistaken the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is only available in Nikon and Canon mounts. I also think that the Tokina 12-24 and the Pentax 12-24 share a common heritage (similar to the Tokina and Pentax 50-135).
No, you're correct, but, they should be coming out with the Pentax and Sony mounts very soon from what I read.

Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

Hey Hercules,
I don't mind a bit, I got this one from B&H Photo for $719 but, if this is actually same as the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX II, then you can get that one for $499
Hi Herc and GW,

Unfortunately, Tokina doesn't make any of the lenses that have shared optical designs in Pentax mount. I've heard that there is a non-compete clause in their arrangement. In fact, I've heard that Tokina has decided not to produce any new lenses in K-mount because Pentax doesn't meet their relatively new market share requirements in DSLR sales (@ 10%), so it's questionable that they are going to make K-mount lenses -- at least in the near future.

I believe that this info came second hand from a Tokina rep, so take it for what it's worth. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:06 AM   #26

Just as Snostorm has indicated Tokina does not produce any lenses in the K mount. Years ago they did, but not any longer. However, there are a number of lenses that Pentax and Tokina seem to share. the 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135. The optical train are reported to be the same, however the external barrell design and the autofocus clutch are different, along with the coatings used.

Its been reported by some that Pentax does the optical design on some and then each company does their own externals, etc.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:27 PM   #27

nice lens, great shots. I have the DA 14mm f2.8 and the DA 10-17mm fisheye. I passed on the 12-24mm because at the time I could only afford the 14. (I purchased them a year apart, all my budget will allow)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Just as Snostorm has indicated Tokina does not produce any lenses in the K mount. Years ago they did, but not any longer. However, there are a number of lenses that Pentax and Tokina seem to share. the 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135. The optical train are reported to be the same, however the external barrell design and the autofocus clutch are different, along with the coatings used.

Its been reported by some that Pentax does the optical design on some and then each company does their own externals, etc.
Thanks for the info I/O,
I feel better now

Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
nice lens, great shots. I have the DA 14mm f2.8 and the DA 10-17mm fisheye. I passed on the 12-24mm because at the time I could only afford the 14. (I purchased them a year apart, all my budget will allow)
Thanks Ira,
I had a chance to try out the 10-17 last year and was very impressed with it.