Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:24 PM   #1

Default First impressions on Pentax 12-24mm

My new 12-24mm lens arrived this morning and I took it out this evening after it started cooling down a bit. My first thought was, man, I got to get used to taking pictures all over again! It makes the 18-55 kit lens look like a long telephoto by comparison. Seriously, I'm going to have to do some practice to get the hang of this thing. I'm totally awed by how close you can be to your target and still git more than you really wanted in the frame. I'll have to wait a couple weeks before giving a real qualified report but, my initial feeling is I'm going to like this one. I have mixed feelings regarding the distortion this lens can produce but, I believe it is partly due to how the camera is positioned in relationship to the subject being recorded.

Notice in this first shot (f:9.5 16mm, 1/350th ISO200) the building looks pretty good with little distortion.

I'll have to tell you an interesting story about this building one day...

Enterabce to the city park, Not to bad here either...

This use to be the old railroad station. the city moved it to this location and remodeled it a few years ago.

Kids at play...

Now, in this one you can really see the distortion! The flag pole should be strait up.

Well, its getting late and 3:30 comes early so I'm gonna hit the hay. I'll post more tomorrow.
cheers

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jul 16, 2009 at 9:28 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:48 PM   #2

I've been waiting all week for you to say you got it. Cool!

I don't know anything about these lenses, but wouldn't the flag pole (and palm tree) be straighter if you shot from a lower vantage point? Don't ask me how that relates to the other images seeming to be "straight".

Anyway, the images look very sharp and clear. Is that your bike in the first one?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:02 PM   #3

Yes, making good use of the wide angle is another subject, and it's so easy to get perspective distortion.

Patty - the flag pole wouldn't look straighter from a lower vantage point - it would have even more distortion. The minute you look up some, especially at 12mm, you get significant distortion. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get out of the office at lunch and take some examples.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4

Interesting shots, hope to see more soon.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Yes, making good use of the wide angle is another subject, and it's so easy to get perspective distortion.

Patty - the flag pole wouldn't look straighter from a lower vantage point - it would have even more distortion. The minute you look up some, especially at 12mm, you get significant distortion. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get out of the office at lunch and take some examples.
Okay. Now that I think of it, buildings from lower down with a regular lens do curve more. I would have trashed that image once I'd tried it. Or, maybe not. Might be interesting with a horizontal flag pole.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:14 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I would say that this lens performs very well regarding distortion when related to a lot of others I've seen.

Glad you got your new toy and welcome to the world of wwwiiidddeeee!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:55 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Me definitely wants one of them lenses!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 AM   #8

I had wanted this lens for quite some time and actually acquired mine about 8 months ago. The lens is very sharp and does great everywhere. You will always have the flagpole problem, so it becomes a framing or cropping problem or just accepting it. I do find that for wide angle lenses, natural shapes do much better than nice sets of square lines at the edges. But this lens does much better than all of the other wide angle lenses out there.

Also, for sharpness f5.6 up through 18mm and f8 through the rest of the range is the sweet spot. dpreview has a nice tool that is very usable for this. Also, this is essentially the same lens as the Tokina 12-24...

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page3.asp

Also, a while back, I came across this gem of an observation, that the 12-24 lens has better sharpness than the new Pentax DA 15mm f4 LIMITED
"Compared to the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM (at 14mm), the 15mm F4 comes out on top; it's a hair sharper, and has lower distortion and falloff. Unfortunately it doesn't come out so well against the excellent Tokina AT-X PRO SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX, which we'd expect to perform near-identically to Pentax's own smc DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL (IF) - in this case the zoom is sharper, and has lower falloff and equally low distortion, although it does show more chromatic aberration."
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._p15/page3.asp

I have never really had a flare problem, or really bad CA, as has been reported with the Tokina version. I chalk it up to the SMC coating that Pentax uses.

So, all in all - it is probably as good a lens as you can fine. You may loose a very small bit of field of view when compared against the slightly wider lenses (the 10mm to 20mm), but this makes up for that in many other ways. I really like mine for sunsets....and for everything else - for that matter.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:55 AM   #9

Congratulations on your new lens. The results you got show it to be a fine copy.

I agree with what interested_observer said in his opening paragraph. The flagpole problem is something you learn to deal with over time with wide lenses. The center of the lens is more forgiving to such objects.

PTlens is a good program for dealing with distortion. You can download a free trial version and see how it works with your lens.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10

Very nice shots you know this is my next lens, don't mind me asking but how much you pay for it as i am in the States now and thinking of buying it here
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote