Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:34 AM   #11

The pictures are awesome when you consider the TC lens combinations you used. I can't get things this sharp with my (admittedly pedestrian) F 100-300mm all by itself.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:43 PM   #12

Pretty nice images Scott, looks like the K7 has a extremely sharp sensor to come out that good with a TC.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:57 AM   #13

Thanks for the detailed report Scott. The pictures are fantastic considering the TC combinations you have on your lens. Image quality, color and detail are excellent.

This is encouraging to me as I am already getting good results with my Tokina 80-400 with the Tamron 1.4TC using my K100D. The K7 should make the Tokina faster locking auto focus at lower light levels and perhaps allow me to use a 2x TC and get a little extra reach. Everything you have shown in this post tells me that a K7 is in my future.

Lou

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Thanks for sharing the info' . I would love to own just one of the combo u mentioned. Job well done for letting us know what option we in tele
Hi Daniel,

Thanks!
I just thought I'd post an impression of the K7's AF performance from a different perspective than most Pentax users seem to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice job Scott!
Unbelievable IQ for such a set up.
Hi GW,

Thanks!

I have to admit that PP improved the shots considerably, but the image has to be pretty reasonable to start with -- and though I won't be using these combos except in some pretty extreme circumstances, having the option is very nice.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Scott - thanks for taking the time to test and to share. These are great photos that show both your talent and the strengths of your new camera.
Hi mole,

I've always felt that I'm more a technician than a talent, but Thanks!

I have to rely on AF a lot because my vision changes throughout an average day, so for me, the equipment matters in this respect. This is why the 1.7x AFA is a very important piece of kit for me, and the improvements in the AF performance of the K7 should help me get more opportunities for shots.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Very encouraging results, Scott. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold off my PBA (Pentax Buying Addiction) if you keep posting this kind of quality.
Hi Paul,

I'd say that the K7 might be a good upgrade for you with your sports shooting. I've found that AFC performance is also significantly improved. I shot about 800 BIF frames of some Gulls and Terns yesterday and today, just playin' around, and got about 75% in focus (or close) with AFC and center point focusing and over 90% in focus (or close) with AFC, Auto Multi Point focus, a narrower aperture for deeper DOF and higher ISO for better subject motion blur control. The FPS does slow down considerably with the Auto Multi Point focus mode though. I'll start a new thread to illustrate this as soon as I've processed some pics.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Glad to hear that you can do more with your TCs. Pictures look very good! Thanks to good, old (fill in your favorite swear word here) UPS, I'm still waiting for my camera. Amazon shipped it yesterday with 1 day delivery - it arrived in LA early this morning but didn't turn up at the office - and I waited until after 5. Ended up getting caught in a huge traffic jam caused by a bus fire that set the hillside alight, closing several lanes of the freeway and making the normal hour and a half commute take 4 plus hours. I would have missed it if I hadn't waited to see if it would turn up. Needless to say, I'm beginning to regret my order. Not because of the camera but because so much has gone wrong with the rest of it.
Hi Harriet,

I guess you could say that Brown let you down. . .

I'm pretty settled in on not even trying the video mode. If and when Pentax recognizes where the problem is coming from, I'll try it then and if my sensor is "one of those", then I'll send it in at that time. The K7 offers me significant advantages for right now, and I'll not give them up for something that might or might not be wrong with one of the cam's features that I've no real use for.

Hopefully, Amazon will be able to recoup shipping charges from UPS, so you might get some compensation, but it probably won't offset those extra 2.5 hours in traffic. . .

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Thanks for trying and posting the results, Scott. Very encouraging. To me it means that when I do get the K7 or it's succeeder, I'll be able to use my 600 mm f5.6 with the 1.7xAFA and get a 1020mm AF lens! I've tried it with the K20, but it doesn't even try to AF.
Hi Kjell,

I thought that this perspective might be more valuable to some of the members here than than the normal low light focusing tests that most users do. I already assumed that the AF assist light would help the "focus in the dark" aspect, but many would probably assume that if their relatively slow tele wouldn't AF with a TC on an older model, they wouldn't even try it if they upgraded to a K7, and would miss a possible significant benefit.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
A great job, Scott-
Thanks for taking the time to test all those combinations of lenses and TC's.
Hi Sarah,

Thanks!

I can probably push my FA* lenses further in this regard than lenses with lesser optics, but the point I really wanted to make was that the greater AF sensitivity is a significant benefit, even if you're not a traditional low light shooter.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I second the thanks for posting these trials. My Sigma 135-400 didn't work too well with the Sigma 1.4X TC on the K20 - Maybe the K7 will do better.
Hi penolta,

You're welcome!

I've always been a pretty avid TC supporter since IMO they offer much better IQ on crop sensor cams than most film shooters would give them credit for from their (now outdated) past experiences. They can offer a relatively low cost reach advantage, and are at least worth a try, IMO.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Since it is so hot out, I have been reading on the other sites about them not liking high ISO - on and on and on....

Your pictures with the detail are wonderful. Your explanation as to why, based on actually taking pictures, and comparison on the AF are excellent - and very instructional. I think that the details in the feathering and the ability to lock AF says it all. The coloring is excellent.

I really like the pictures....
Hi IO,

Thanks!

These are at the extreme of practical TC use -- might be improved upon with less magnification and more cropping, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results, and now have a better idea of the limits that I can push the K7's AF system to.

I'm just starting to get a handle on the image settings I need, since I like to shoot jpegs, and though this cam is very much like the K20, it is appreciably different. This is coming around. . ., so the IQ will probably get better as time goes by. AT least the PP workflow seems to be the same for me. . .

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
The pictures are awesome when you consider the TC lens combinations you used. I can't get things this sharp with my (admittedly pedestrian) F 100-300mm all by itself.
Hi Ira,

I've got some more TCs to play with -- a Tamron 2x MFTC and a Pentax A 2x S, so I've got some more to play with. . .

I have seen some very good results from the F 100-300 stopped down a bit though. . . and I do have some PP tricks that can make some of the K20/K7 images better at posting size than one might expect.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
Pretty nice images Scott, looks like the K7 has a extremely sharp sensor to come out that good with a TC.
Hi Tom,

It's too early to tell, but the K7 is pretty much like the K20 in IQ. One improvement is in the high ISO noise handling. the K7 has much less chroma noise than the K20 or any of the previous Pentax bodies, which is very good for me, and high ISO NR can be made to turn on at the ISO that you choose, and at the level that you choose -- very good for me because I can get useful images for my purposes at up to @2000.

I think that the glass is the biggest contributor to the IQ with the TCs. Unfortunately tele lenses in this class are really pricey, but you already know that. . .

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Thanks for the detailed report Scott. The pictures are fantastic considering the TC combinations you have on your lens. Image quality, color and detail are excellent.

This is encouraging to me as I am already getting good results with my Tokina 80-400 with the Tamron 1.4TC using my K100D. The K7 should make the Tokina faster locking auto focus at lower light levels and perhaps allow me to use a 2x TC and get a little extra reach. Everything you have shown in this post tells me that a K7 is in my future.
Hi Lou,

I'm thinking that a 2x TC might be asking too much with that lens. I have one, and I think that the optical quality of the AF 2xs that are available (with the possible exception of the Sigma APO) aren't going to help, even if the K7 might AF with them. I've gotten the best results from MF 2xs like the Tamron 2x Macro Focusing TC, the Pentax A 2x S, and the Tamron 01E Adaptall 2, would love to have an A 2x L or a Sigma 2x APO to try out, but these last two are pretty expensive, and I'm not really sure how well they would work. For me "not sure" added to expensive don't bode well for me getting either.

Somehow, I think that the K7 was probably calling well before you read this post. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote