Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:24 PM   #11

Always a pleasure to your photos, mole. I hadn't thought about it, but I believe that's the first June bug I've seen since I was a kid. They were all over the place when I grew up in north Arkansas, but I don't think we have them in the southern part of the state.

I hope the squirrel wasn't too worse for wear after his experience. Beautiful butterfly photos.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:18 AM   #12

Good stuff, as we have come to expect from you. I'm with Scott - keep them coming. The colors of the Red-spotted Purple reproduced splendidly - absolutely spectacular.

I would disagree with the cause of the Pearly-eye's condition, though - I would attribute it to wear and tear. Bird nips are usually much larger and much fewer in number. If these butterflies are anything like Mourning Cloaks, they can beat each other up pretty badly. For an example of a really worn butterfly and an account of how it got that way, see the following past thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...king-hill.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:13 AM   #13

Good on you for helping the Flying Squirrel but why did you grill that poor Vulture.

Rodney

ps: Great shots.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14

Great shots again mole. As usual, very informative. I look forward to your posts! The 4 butterfly pictures are wonderful.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:37 PM   #15

That's got to be the best shot of a squirrel I've seen! rather comical too. the red spotted purple is a first for me, very nice!

Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Not sure what this Black Vulture was doing on the grill. Perhaps he was searching for the grocery store (store is an old photo taken with my old Canon Powershot - just for fun...)

Mole, the sign at the top right says "home of the buzzard buger"
Should that be buzzard burger? That would explain the the photo of the buzzard standing on the grill.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:53 PM   #17

Lovely series! The butterflies are my favorites, though the flying squirrel is excellent. Are they as much of a pest as our local tree squirrels, which have become so tame? And it's interesting to see your june bug - I suspect what we used to call june bugs when I was growing up weren't june bugs at all. They were black.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:23 PM   #18

Wonderful as usual, mole. That purple flower is interesting. I really like it.

I was thinking the same thing about the june bug. I don't remember ours being green as kids. I do remember about my 6th birthday, my cousins giving me a shoe box with holes all over in it as a gift. When I opened the box (in the house) about a hundred june bugs were released into the house. My mom was screaming, all the siblings and cousins were screaming, the bugs were freaking out. It was wild! From then on all gifts from my cousins were inspected first!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:33 PM   #19

Thanks for all the kind comments - glad you enjoyed my nature "ramblings!"

Scott - Thanks! But I've already taken over 8,000 photos with the K-m since I got it in April, and hope not to wear it out too soon. If possible, will be heading out to a nearby wilderness area tomorrow. Will post eventually...

Mtnman - glad you enjoyed them. Hope to see you out on the trail one of these day!

Sarah - Thanks for looking, and for letting me know you liked them!

Paul - This has been an especially good year for June Bugs for us. Of course, as you know, June Bugs are actually beetles, not true bugs. There are several species - we have mostly the big green ones. Saw a bunch eating wild blackberries today! Yes, the flying squirrel was ok - a few minor lacerations on his "wing" area, but he successfully returned to his habitat.

Penolta - you're probaly right about the pearly eye, although I've never seen them being particularly aggressive towards each other, and have seen some VERY aggressive Mourning Cloaks...

Rodney - thanks! Helping the flying squirrel is just a part of my job. Grilled Vulture is not!!

Lou - thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed them.

GW - Flying Squirrels sure are cute - I guess it's those big (nocturnal) eyes! As for the store - Buzzard's Big Lick Grocery was a landmark in the small community of Big Lick (not far from Fall Creek Falls State Park). But it is closed now. I believe that the owner, whose nickname was Buzzard, has either retired or perhaps died. Yes, he did have an interesting way to spell his world-famous Buzzard Burgers!!

Harriet - Our flying squirrels are shy creatures, almost never seen by day, and hard to spot at night because they are so quiet. They do enjoy visiting bird feeders at night! Grey Squirrels are a different story - they do sometimes become a bit of a pest, especially in our state park campgrounds and picnic areas, where people feed them, and make them become too tame.
The trouble with common names like June Bug is that the same name may apply to several different creatures. What we call June Bug may not be the same as what you call June Bug, but both can be correct. Ours is officially called Cotinis nitida, yours may be some other species.

Patty - what a great story. Might give some of us some good ideas for our next gift!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:07 PM   #20

Quote:
The trouble with common names like June Bug is that the same name may apply to several different creatures. What we call June Bug may not be the same as what you call June Bug, but both can be correct. Ours is officially called Cotinis nitida, yours may be some other species.
Shakespeare said it best: "What's in a name?" The trouble with common names is that they vary all over the country. A gopher is either a rodent in California, a snake in Texas, or a Tortoise in Florida, and that rodent gopher is a salamander where a the rodent is called something else, but the salamander most places is an amphibian, not a mammal. That is why we have scientific names. Cotinus nitida, the Green June Beetle is not a June Beetle at all, but a Flower Scarab - the May Beetles and June Beetles are in a different subfamily altogether. And here in the Southwest a more common look alike relative of the Green June Beetle (which in the East is also known as a Chinese Beetle) is Cotinus mutibilis, the Fig Beetle or Green Peach Beetle depending on which trees are growing where it is. It is enough to make your head spin.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote