Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:22 PM   #1

Default K10D shutter release button only works part of the time- help.

I've had my Pentax K10D since Nov., 2007. It's always functioned perfectly. Today when I press the shutter release button...sometimes the shutter actuates...sometimes it does not. It seems to be working about 5 out of 6 times...then won't work, even if I keep the button pressed down.

The battery is fully charged. I have the grip so I switched the power from body to the battery in the grip. I took the battery out and put it back into the body. Still the problem exists. The card has plenty of space left on it. I changed the setting to all the different spots...aperture, shutter priority, TV, etc., even manual...same deal...the shutter release button sometimes actuates the shutter...sometimes it doesn't.

I took my 16-45 Pentax lens off, put on my Pentax 50 F 1.4...same deal...about 1 out of 6 shutter actuation's don't actuate when I press shutter release button.

I'm also concerned about the focus it doesn't seem as accurate and hunts more...some pix don't seem to be in as sharp focus as before.

I'm planning to go on a trip a day from now, fortunately I have my new Pentax KM.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be, what needs to be done to fix it ?

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Hi Les,

I'd try:

1. Are you getting focus confirmation? If you've got the "beep" turned off, try turning it on for focus confirmation. If you're using AF S, the shutter won't fire unless focus is locked. Try switching the AF mode switch to AFC or MF, if the shutter fires every time, then try cycling through the focus modes a number of times to possibly get a better switch contact.

2. Try rotating the e-dials on the grip and the body. I know that if one of the e-dials is not completely set in one of the click stops, it can disable the other e-dials, so why not the shutter.

3. Take the grip off completely. Who knows what possible inter reactions might cause a problem. If this cures the problem, look at the contacts to make sure none of the pins are bent or missing.

4. Clean the contacts on both the lenses and the body with a soft, dry, lintless cloth. This could cause problems with the AF and send confusing signals to the body.

That's about all I can think of. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3

If you have a remote release, try that - if it works without interruption, the problem may be in the release button.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks Snostorm and Penolta, I'll try those suggestions. Appreciate your input.

Les
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Les,

I'd try:

1. Are you getting focus confirmation? If you've got the "beep" turned off, try turning it on for focus confirmation.

I just turned it on. I get focus confirmation through a beep now. It is beeping and the focus seems fine. I'm using a black and white printed sheet as a test pattern. All is clear, even up to multi expansion.

If you're using AF S, the shutter won't fire unless focus is locked.

It was on AF-S. AF-S hunts in dim light, which it should I suppose, but will actuate the shutter once it is pn focus (beeps).

lTry switching the AF mode switch to AFC or MF,

Did so..all worked..great focus as a result.

if the shutter fires every time, then try cycling through the focus modes a number of times to possibly get a better switch contact.

Did so...all attempts at shutter actuation were successful.

2. Try rotating the e-dials on the grip and the body. I know that if one of the e-dials is not completely set in one of the click stops, it can disable the other e-dials, so why not the shutter.

Did so...all click positively.

3. Take the grip off completely. Who knows what possible inter reactions might cause a problem. If this cures the problem, look at the contacts to make sure none of the pins are bent or missing.

Tried shutter actuation BEFORE..your recommendations were tried and shutter actuation was inconsistent with grip on and off. AFTER I tried your recommendations..shutter actuation was OK, with grip on and off.

4. Clean the contacts on both the lenses and the body with a soft, dry, lintless cloth. This could cause problems with the AF and send confusing signals to the body.

Did so as per your recommendations.

That's about all I can think of. . .

Scott
Well Scott, I don't know which of your recommendations was the successful one, but the K10D has taken a number of pictures on different focus modes, after I followed your suggestions and all were successful.

Hopefully the K10D will continue to function without a problem. Thank you very much Snostorm.

The thing about this website is that I can always rely on assistance. It's a great place.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
If you have a remote release, try that - if it works without interruption, the problem may be in the release button.
Penolta..my K10D seems to be working fine now...cross fingers .

Your suggestion is a good one if it starts acting up again. I would be able to isolate the problem in order to determine whether or not the shutter release, either mechanically or electronically was malfunctioning.

I do have a remote control. I will keep this is mind as a future test. Thank you very much.

Les
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Les-

That is really great to hear! I am really glad that the problem seems to be solved. but then, as we KM users know, you always had that trusty KM to back up that sophisticated and complicated K-10 camera.

That is only humor and I hope that you appreciate it, Les. I am glad to know that we have a possible "cure" for the K-10 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

That is really great to hear! I am really glad that the problem seems to be solved.

Sarah, as you know there are a great bunch of people on this web and over the years I've been on it, I've always found that they can provide a wealth of good information.
but then, as we KM users know, you always had that trusty KM to back up that sophisticated and complicated K-10 camera.Your quite right. I was going to take the K10D to the camera store to have it sent off while my wife and I were traveling through some of the Western States (holiday) and just use the KM. It's good to have a camera back up.

That is only humor and I hope that you appreciate it, Les.LOL...I do. I've had Pentax SLR's since '68 and although they have proven to be very durable and reliable, I have always had an extra Pentax body or two..I don't like to be without a camera. I am glad to know that we have a possible "cure" for the K-10 camera.

Sarah Joyce
BTW, I'll be taking both the K10D and the KM..for backup and just to have a telephoto on one body and a wide angle or my 50 mm F1.4 on another body. You never know what lens you might need.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:24 PM   #9

Whoo... that was a close one!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Whoo... that was a close one!
Well we're going to the States tomorrow...so I'm hoping that it stays 'fixed'. I think it will...cross fingers. I gave it a workout today and it was 100 %. Thanks to Snostorm.