Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Abandoned Barbershop with the K-7

I participated in Scott Kelby's 2nd annual Worldwide Photo Walk this past Saturday. Our group went around the North Beach section of San Francisco, which was actually my first time around that district. There's definitely some colorful and unique scenery there (Broadway Street alone has interesting, contrasting imagery, if you know what I mean ). But there's also some somber reminders of the day we're in. These two photos are of an abandoned barbershop:

To be honest though, I don't believe this shop was a victim of the economy; rather, it was a victim of progress. The building was going to be replaced by an extension of the local city college.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:10 PM   #2

Hmmm... sure would love to have one of those old chairs!

Nice shot Jason.
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:52 PM   #3

With all the hair-styling parlors around now, it is getting harder and harder to find an old-fashioned barbershop anymore. There are still a few around, but thankfully without the leeches, fleams, and bleeding bowls of yesteryear (blood-letting tools of the old time barber-surgeons).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:55 PM   #4

It's funny you should post these - my other half wanted to find a barber shop to get an old-fashioned shave. Not many shops still do that any more - most just cut hair. It was interesting to discover that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:12 PM   #5

Got a recommendation to darken the image, so I did a little more PP on it. Here is another version of the same first shot:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #6

What's interesting is that the original looked a little too light on my monitor at work (uncalibrated and it has some issues), but looks fine on the calibrated monitor I have at home. The second, darker one looks a bit better though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:36 AM   #7

Nice shot, Jason. Yes, they are far and few between any more. I had thought the first one was okay, but looking at the second version, it does bring my eye to look more at the details on the left hand side.

I missed it again. I looked at the locations and there were many in my area I could have gone to. This sounds like such a cool thing to do. I'm going to have to write on my calendar to remember to check out next year's before it happens.

Patty

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote