Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Default HARD Lesson LEARNED!

If anyone has been thinking about a back up camera stop thinking about it and do it. I had to send out my camera for warranty repair..... going on the 5TH WEEK NOW and no camera! Last year I bought a P&S just because I wanted something I could slip in my pocket for those times when you just can't take a full DSLR with you. Now I wish I had done some research instead of saving some money! Just got back from the Thousand Islands in New York, went to Boldt Castle, the Antique Boat Museum, lots of senic shots and out of 375 pictures I might have 5 worth saving. I screwed up big this time. So now that I doing some searching online turns out I bought the worst camera you could buy. I should have at least tried the P&S I got but I always went for my DSLR. UGH!
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2

h7edge-

Yes, I agree with you being without a camera is not a very good feeling.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:02 PM   #3

Its all but ruined my vacation. So many fantastic opportunities for some great photos. I really wish I had done some research before I bought that camera. Being unemployed is not helping but I am going to hunt around for a much better back up camera and send an email to the company that made the P&S I bought and tell them they're camera was very dissapointing. If you really enjoy your DSLR and don't have a back up, get one because it really is a awful feeling.

Rob
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h7edge View Post
Its all but ruined my vacation. So many fantastic opportunities for some great photos. I really wish I had done some research before I bought that camera. Being unemployed is not helping but I am going to hunt around for a much better back up camera and send an email to the company that made the P&S I bought and tell them they're camera was very dissapointing. If you really enjoy your DSLR and don't have a back up, get one because it really is a awful feeling.

Rob
Yes it is Rob! I know that feeling quite well. I have a back up now.
With the price of some of the earlier dslr's come down so low now it's almost as cheap as getting a P&S!
I'm sure sorry to hear about your ruined vacation but, look on the bright side... now you have a good excuse to go back again and you know in advance just what you want to capture and what you need to get it!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jul 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #5

I kept my K100 and have used it handheld when the K20 is on the tripod. Also, there are business trips when carrying a dSLR of any size just will not work. So, after some looking around I selected a Panasonic LX3. Wide angle lens, fast Leica f2.0-2.8 lens, 24mm to 60mm (not a lot of zoom but its for wide angle work), and the sensor although small is larger than the rest of the P&S capped at 10MP, so the pixel density is low (compared to any other P&S). Plus, it is both fully auto and fully automatic (aperture, exposure, focus, plus similar manual modes to Pentax) and ISO down to 80. and its jacket pocketable.

So far for me, it has worked out very well.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:50 AM   #6

Yes, learned that lesson when mine was in the shop two years ago. I was so desperate I pulled out my old film camera. Then, a friend lent me her p&s as we were going to my grandson's christening during this time and I couldn't depend on no shots. It was horrible. Now that I've got the K20, I'm keeping the K100 as my backup.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:15 AM   #7

The LX3 is a great camera but EXPENSIVE, you can buy a new DSLR for the same amount of money it costs. Just buy a used *istDS, they can be had for $250 at KEH in EX+ condition and for less if you can find them elsewhere.

It is a great camera and takes all the lenses your other camera takes, you will not be disappointed and it takes better photos than any P&S out there.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:09 AM   #8

I know and agree, but even the *ist was still too large. So I saved my lunch money for quite a long time, and found a deal before it went into a supply shortage situation and the price bumped up quite a bit.

After getting the BiPAP machine, that I now have to carry, and at times I can not carry my laptop and camera and documents, and everything else that needs to come with me, so something has to be left behind at home. I ran across the LX3 which was able to be packed in my computer case when I just can not bring my backpack - to carry camera and lenses.

Actually, it will be replaced here within a year - maybe even a month, and folks will be switching to the latest and greatest - thus creating the supply that will force the prices down.

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:43 PM   #9

This is interesting.. Thank you all for the replies! Oddly enough I bought the P&S camera a little more than a year ago so now I am rethinking a camera I can slip into my pocket lol since i never really used it till now. I was going to use my current camera (Samsung GX-1L) as a back up and eventually go for the K20 or the K200. The K200 would work fine for me because I don't take professional Pics, just family and personal interest stuff, and I gotta admit being able to run to the drug store quick for some AA's has come in handy a couple of times . Now I am being told that they do not have parts for my camera anymore so I will get a replacement (GX-20) which I am quite thrilled about thus making the K200 even more attractive. However, I have to admit I really did enjoy the fact that I could slip my P&S into my pocket especially on the boat rides. And then theres this LOL.... after seeing some of the Photo's on here with the K7 maybe selling a few things and saving my money might not be a bad idea... argh! all in all the bottom line is if I dont go with a point and shoot I am most deffinently going with Pentax. To me being a "pentaxian" has more bennefits then any of the other brands. I already compiled "stuff" for Pentax too.

Thank You all again,
Rob
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h7edge View Post
...So now that I doing some searching online turns out I bought the worst camera you could buy.
I'm almost afraid to ask, since I wouldn't want to offend anyone using it. ;-) But, out of curiosity, what camera were you so disappointed with?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote