Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:48 PM   #11

Beautiful pictures. #2 is my favorite with #1 a close second. I hope the new camera will work flawlessly for you.

Good luck,

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:52 PM   #12

I have said this before but the level your photography has reached is awesome, especially when these are basically just test shots. hope this is an indication of your new K7's capabilities.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Beautiful pictures. #2 is my favorite with #1 a close second. I hope the new camera will work flawlessly for you.
Hi Harriet,

Congrats on finally getting the replacement!

I'm with Lou!!! Great stuff, especially for test shots

I'm staying away from even trying video mode until they have an answer to whether there's a fault in the sensor, and I really don't have much good use for LV, but at least I know how to use it if I want to. . .

Here's hoping all goes well -- it's a great cam!!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:47 PM   #14

Thanks for the compliments! Ira - I shoot flowers very often and have a good idea how to get what I want from the Viv. It's a brilliant lens, by the way.

Scott - this camera is slightly different than the first one I had. It definitely meters slightly differently, I thought the first one tended to over-expose a hair (or at least I got more blown highlights with it). The difference is small, but significant to me. I feel much more comfortable with this one.

There's a couple of other things that seem to be either slightly different, or else it's because I know what to expect more. I think the shutter is a bit quieter - I hadn't noticed the quieter shutter as much on the last one. I've also noticed some things that I hadn't particularly consciously thought about, like how much easier it is to manually focus. I also got around to changing a couple of things in the menus that I hadn't bothered with before (like how the raw button works). I've got it set up so that I can shoot raw+, then push the button to switch to jpg if I want to use in-camera HDR. Figure thats faster than using the info menu twice to set it up (one to change to jpg, one to choose the HDR mode/method).

I did ask Pentax USA about the issue. Their answer was mostly what I would expect, but it did offer a bit of info - "Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We are aware of this problem in some K-7 cameras and are working on a fix for it. In your case, I would suggest you return the camera you have for a replacement since the issue does not seem to be common to every camera. "

I think that's actually very helpful information and I think I will try live view for a bit tomorrow to see if I do get the line. I might get courageous enough to try movie, but not sure about that. I'm getting to appreciate this camera more and more. The funny thing is that the comparison shots I've taken didn't show much difference between the K20 and K-7, but now that I'm taking pictures for myself (i.e., the flowers etc.) I occasionally see a little something extra - can't explain it - that I don't remember seeing very often with the K20. Probably my imagination, though.

One of the things I verified at lunch - it meters perfectly with manual lenses (at least two of mine). I quit using my SMC 24mm f2.8 lens because the K10 and K20 were terrible using the green button - always over-exposed at anything other than f2.8. The K-7 meters perfectly through all apertures. While I now have other options for the focal lengths of my prime manual lenses, it's nice to know that they will work correctly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:18 AM   #15

Hope this one works out for you. I have seen no problems with mine and I have tried the movie mode, out of curiosity. I do not feel the photos will be tremendously different then the K20D, I was hoping the faster responsiveness will give me a few extra shots I may have missed in the past. I feel ISO is usable to 1600 but if improved not enough to use ISO 3200. Good Luck!

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:05 AM   #16

Lovely images.. I love the light around the white fence.. and flowers are beautiful too.. The light metering is amazing..at least it seems to be.

Have fun with your new camera!

Irena

PS. I have got the K20D.. Not tried it yet though.. maybe in weekend.
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:03 AM   #17

Thanks! Irena - you will love the K20, I just know it. It is quite different, and does take some getting used to, but I still love mine.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I've noticed a couple of things with this camera that I didn't particularly notice with the other one - focusing is easier. The viewfinder is easier to see through and to see the focus, something I appreciate since this lens and the A*300 are both manual focus.
Hi Harriet,

I've noticed this too -- apparently Pentax has chosen to use a more "Pro spec" focusing screen on the K7.

I found this in a post by "nottoohairy" ont the DPR forum:

"Here are some interesting observations from Mr. Nakamura about the K-7 finder. These are translated from the K-7 review posted at dc.watch.impress.co.jp on July 14th.

"Looking through the K-7 finder, it seems slightly darker in comparison to other Pentax's up until now. This reduction in light transmission was done in order to attain ease of manual focus and see boke(h). Generally when you increase the transmission of a camera's focusing screen diffusion decreases making it harder to grasp the exact point of focus. In other words, brightness of the finder and ease of focus are inversely proportional. A lot of cheap, popular cameras are sold with slow zooms, and ease of manual focus is not seen as important. So there is a strong trend to pursue brightness. In terms of the screen, you could say that the K-7 is aimed at experts. Particularly when using large aperture, fixed focal length lenses, and select the optical preview, you can shoot while confirming subtle changes in the flavor of the boke(h) through the finder."

Fumio Nakamura

After working for a camera maker, became an independent photographer in '96. Active in a wide range of the field, mainly writing how-to and technical articles, and also instruction. Posesses a deep knowledge of classic cameras and owns over 300 cameras. Has been a member of the Grand Prix selection committee since '98."

Looks like we aren't imagining this . . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:58 PM   #19

That's VERY interesting. It also helps explain why I'm getting accurate stop-down metering with my manual lenses, too. The K10 was the worst, but the K20 wasn't very accurate either, especially with one of my lenses. The K-7 is spot-on, a nice addition.

I'm liking this camera more and more for little things like this.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:29 PM   #20

Spot on metering and colour, amazing detail as in #2...Well, congrats on your replacement Harriet!
I wish Pentax also respond to super sharp and fast Tokina 11-16 f2.8 soon!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote