Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

Default K7 live view strange behavior

I'm still trying to put my K7 through the paces to see if I have the sensor problem. I haven't seen the line yet, but the camera does have an annoying issue with live view. If the battery is not fully charged, it will stay on live view for about 60-90 seconds and then say the the battery is fully depleted and shut down. When I turn the camera off & back on, the battery still shows the 2/3rds and works great in all other modes, including movie mode. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2

I haven't with the K-7, but have found something similar with the K20 - turning it off and on again will usually get me a "full" battery sign and a few more shots as long as I'm not playing back anything. As soon as I review, the battery says it's down to nothing and forget it. I don't think that's so much strange behavior as it is a function of the battery (live view takes a lot of battery power).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:08 AM   #3

I think you're right. I just googled "DSLR depleted battery" and found several complaints about Nikons and Canons with similar issues. The conclusion on most of the forums was that Li-on batteries have this tendency and that some intelligence has to be built into the battery to avoid this problem.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Gon

Default "live view / battery" problem on K7

Hello,
I have the same problem with my new K7.
I intend to sent it back to Pentax Europe but I do not know if this issue is general or only on few battery/K7 samples?
Have you find any solutions?

(Sorry but I am french and I do not speak english very well.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
I'm still trying to put my K7 through the paces to see if I have the sensor problem. I haven't seen the line yet, but the camera does have an annoying issue with live view. If the battery is not fully charged, it will stay on live view for about 60-90 seconds and then say the the battery is fully depleted and shut down. When I turn the camera off & back on, the battery still shows the 2/3rds and works great in all other modes, including movie mode. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Gon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Administrator

It's probably just normal behavior. Most batteries tend to provide good voltage until they're almost depleted, making it difficult to accurately report battery life, until you're doing something that places more load on them (as Live View is probably doing).

Sony's InfoLithium battery system tends to work the best in this area, because of a microprocessor built into the batteries to help out with determining the remaining charge. But, that also increases battery cost.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:52 AM   #6

My solution would be to buy a second battery - the K20's battery is similar. The K7 takes a lot of battery power to run live view, so can't do it well with an almost depleted battery. The K20's battery might be less powerful, but it also takes less time to charge - I'm thinking of getting two back-up batteries for the K7, while I never worried much about back-ups with the K20.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:29 PM   #7

Just saw this thread, and thought I would comment. The Lithium Ion rechargeables take several or more charge/recharge cycles to attain full capacity. Since the K7 is a fairly new camera, you may all just be seeing break-in symptoms. There is a thread about Li-ion self-discharge in the batteries forum, in which the OP has recently posted that after some time, his battery is functioning properly now.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:11 AM   #8
Gon

Thank you for your answers. I will test again after several cycles...
What I don't understand is why "live view" works perfectly well in movie mode???
Battery consuption should be the same, isn't it?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:34 AM   #9

After using the camera for about a month, the problem has basically gone away. The camera seems to be accurately reading battery life now, even on my second, clone battery. I think it was just a matter of conditioning.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:51 AM   #10
Gon

Is it useful to completly empty the battery before to charge it again?
Until now I use to do it. But I am no longer sure that is essential.