Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:51 PM   #11

Lovely shots, the first one is wonderful.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:09 AM   #12

Great shot of the Buckeye! That and the Mourning Cloak are tow of my favorites.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:47 AM   #13

Great pictures, Penolta.

There are two butterfly gardens in MA but I have not yet visited either one. I hope to do so this year and will be sure to post pictures when I do.

It will be interesting to see some more pictures from you when the new varieties begin to emerge.

Do you think a mono-pod would help you in the cramped and crowded environment? Your hand held pictures, indicate that you are not having any difficulties hand holding at long focal lengths. Nice job!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:57 PM   #14

Thanks, Rodney, GW and Lou - I appreciate the comments.

Lou, monopods have their place (I have two, and it depends on the habits of the specimens they have at the time) but in this instance I think even a monopod would have been more of a hinderance, because most of the butterflies wouldn't stay still long enough to let you get set up, and there are too many places for them to settle momentarily. First there is one at your feet, then over your head, then to the right - you get the idea. Without a cradle or quick release head it would be unusable. Without time to make changes, the monopod only would be good for things at the height you have it adjusted for, but what do you do with it if the target is somewhere else and you need two hands for the camera and lens? IF you lean it against your chest it limits your movements, and you can't let it drop to the ground. Only if there is a railing (which here there isn't) to lean it against would it useful - I can use it that way with a cradle on the boardwalk at the nearby ecological reserve, but elsewhere on the paths it can sometimes be useful and other times a liability. With a heavier lens (like my Sigma 135-400) I would have to use it (and risk missing some shots in the balance) - my shooting style is not often to sit and wait in one place, but usually to move around. looking for opportunities.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:16 PM   #15

Hi penolta,

Nice work!!!

I have two butterfly houses relatively nearby, but have always found them somewhat difficult to work in because of the heat and humidity. After a few minutes, I start sweating, and my glasses fog, the viewfinder fogs, and I'm looking for some A/C. . . -- maybe this is one situation where LV might be an advantage for me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:12 PM   #16

Thank you, Scott. I appreciate the complement.

This one is an open air screened enclosure not for from the cool ocean, so is only open Spring and Summer when the weather is favorable. There is no climate control (other than the ocean) so they say they will close on days when it is either too hot or too humid (which wouldn't be very often there).
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:40 PM   #17

Thanks for the link - there's a good possibility we could be in Newport Beach next weekend (not tomorrow) anyway. I had been thinking of going down earlier than needed and visiting (quickly) Bolsa Chica, but this might be a better idea as it's in Newport. Thanks very much for the link and the idea!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:53 PM   #18

Nice series - I do like #1 - the Buckeye with the flowers very much!

So where did the California Dogface get it's name??

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:49 AM   #19

Thank you, Marc.

Quote:
So where did the California Dogface get it's name??
The name comes from the pattern on the upper wing, which is supposed to resemble a dog's face (supposedly a poodle, although it looks more like a bulldog to me). The pattern (only on the male) is rarely seen (and even more rarely photographed) as the butterfly nearly always perches with the wings closed. You can see it in flight, however as the wingbeats are at just the right rate. Here is a link to a photograph:

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/lepidop...ae/dogfacm.htm

Last edited by penolta; Jul 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I had been thinking of going down earlier than needed and visiting (quickly) Bolsa Chica
I suppose you could do both, Harriet, as Bolsa is best in the early morning, and the two places are not that far apart on PCH (about 15-20 minutes in light traffic, but not on a Saturday beach day in this hot weather) - if only you didn't have such a long drive from home! Best leave Bolsa for another day.

You will be adjacent to the Upper Newport Bay State Ecological Reserve, another favorite birding and photography locale, so you might want to take a drive along Back Bay Drive to familiarize yourself with it for a later visit (Summer is a slower period there).

Last edited by penolta; Jul 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM.