Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:12 PM   #1

Default 1st K7 firmware update

The first K7 firmware update is out - it deals only with focus point selection (this is from the Japanese site in English):

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-7_s.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:53 PM   #2

Hi penolta,

Thanks!

For those that don't know, the K7 required a press of the OK button before changing focus points in Select Point Mode. This was widely panned as a problem by many early adopters. The firmware update allows the user to choose between focus point select and the 4-way controller functions as default. Personally, I use Center Point, and now Auto Multipoint the great majority of the time, so this was not a major concern to me. There were also some complaints about irregular performance when one of the extreme outside focus points was selected. It is nice to know that Pentax reacted in a matter of weeks to those who did complain, and I think it shows that they are determined to make the K7 a model to be reckoned with.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Jul 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:20 PM   #3

I tend to use center point focus mostly so the way the camera comes is fine with me. However, I can understand how many would be unhappy and I have done stuff where I've used the selector. It's nice that we now have a choice which way it will work - I could see occasionally going in and changing the function if I were using the selective focus point a lot for something.

Penolta - thanks for posting the link to the Japanese site. I tried using Safari to access the Pentax Imaging (US) site and it doesn't work right. Tried Firefox next and got to the instruction page (I couldn't get it with Safari), but didn't see the links to the downloads. Your link worked like a charm.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Penolta - thanks for posting the link to the Japanese site. I tried using Safari to access the Pentax Imaging (US) site and it doesn't work right. Tried Firefox next and got to the instruction page (I couldn't get it with Safari), but didn't see the links to the downloads. Your link worked like a charm.
Going through the Downloads tab I can get to the right page, but the "submit" button doesn't work from Safari (and hasn't for some time). My backup browser is Opera and that will work. On the other hand, the self-help tab returns a message that says "something is wrong - we have been notified and are working to correct the problem" (or something close to that) with both browsers - although some sites are not particularly Mac friendly, I think this one is their problem.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:09 AM   #5

Here is the US link and the file downloads fine, but when I follow the instructions and hold the menu button down while powering on the camera, it shows the current firmware version and then goes straight to the normal mode and doesn't give me the option to update. I loaded it on a clean card at the root level, so I can determine what is happening here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.pentaximaging.com/support...nd-literature/

Last edited by jnanpentaxfan; Aug 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM. Reason: forgot the link
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
...so I can determine what is happening...
I figured it out: i was downloading the zip file and not extracting the BIN file, DUH!
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote