Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:48 AM   #11

Yes, they really raffled off a K-7. I was hoping maybe my husband would win, but no such luck (I never win anything so didn't worry about it). There was hardly anyone there - maybe 20 of us or so. I was disappointed that there weren't more people as I had a great time and REALLY appreciated being able to handle and take pictures with the various lenses. They had just about everything in their current line-up. About the only audience person who I recognized their name was Yvon (I recently downloaded his focus chart, where you cut it out and fold it to form the proper 45 degree angle, thought that was a very clever idea).

I asked Ned about the TC that's disappeared from the lens road-map. He said the designers still didn't have a design they were happy with, rather like why they delayed the 60-250 for so long. That's a really sweet lens, but large and relatively heavy. While I would love to have it in one way, I doubt I'd carry it enough so will skip that one. My suggestion was that since they already had a working design for the 1.7 AF TC, why couldn't they just make that one. Naturally, he couldn't make an answer to that one - but I figure if enough people bring that up, perhaps they'll consider doing just that. I have no idea if it would be practical to make (economically viable).

After last night, I'm planning a DA*16-50 relatively soon (as soon as the budget allows), as this is my most immediate need. The weather sealing is worth the extra cost to me, compared to the DA 17-70. I tried both, but didn't feel like the extra size of the 16-50 was all that big of a deal (especially since I have other bigger lenses). I really want the DA*200, it's very comfortable to use and a lot lighter than I had expected, for some reason. The 10-17 is SO much fun, who cares if its all that practical.

The DA*300 out-performs my A*300, boy is it a nice lens! I still have serious reservations about buying a lens that big, though. Looking at my lens-buying list, and assuming that others will come away with a similar list, I'd say that this event was very successful from a marketing point of view.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:18 PM   #12

There were so few people there because so few knew about it - that advertising thing again. I am entertaining an out of town guest and am unable to go - a little more advance notice would have been nice, as I am close to the Orange County locale. Did you or anybody else press him on the sensor heating/line issue? I sure would have.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:41 PM   #13

I did ask him about the problem. About all he would answer was that they knew what the problem was (which is different than "we are aware of the problem" which is more like "there's a problem but we're clueless as to how to fix it").
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:38 AM   #14

Made it to Irvine. Wasn't a lucky K7 winner (even with only 20 or so people showing up), but glad to be there for the presentation, see all the goods and ask questions.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:16 PM   #15

They need to have one of these in Boston instead of two in NY. Maybe they'll add if they see that people are interested.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote