Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:14 PM   #1

Default Hand grip

seriously i doubt it's as good as the one scott uses but how can you go bad at at under
$5
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:46 PM   #2

That's ridiculously cheap. You can't go wrong in my mind, since you're really only risking the cost of shipping. If you don't like it, give it away. The question in my mind is how can anyone make any money selling items for $1 on ebay? The listing would cost anywhere from 60 to 80 cents! One would have to sell MILLIONS of them to even have a chance of making any money.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:40 PM   #3

I purchased one that looks identical and the only problem is that the included strap was way too short and I had to replace it. Other than that, I really like it.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
seriously i doubt it's as good as the one scott uses but how can you go bad at at under
$5
Hi Roy,

This looks a lot like the one marketed by Hakuba and Slik. I have and use both on my Panny FZs. They were about $18 USD each, so this is a great deal, especially if you just want to try out a grip strap.

My major objections to these are that the base blocks the battery doors on my Pentax bodies, the base and screw connection assy is too thick to mount stably on a tripod, and the plastic base is definitely not as confidence inspiring as the Camdapter's aluminum one when carrying a 7 lb camera/lens combo that's worth a couple of grand. . . The Camdapter straps are also quite a bit nicer, and the nylon strap is a bit heavier duty. I chose to get the adapter bases that double as Arca Swiss compatible QR plates, so I don't need to remove them if I want to mount the body on a tripod. But they are pricey. . .

Nice find!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:11 PM   #5

Hi Roy,

. . . The Camdapter straps are also quite a bit nicer, and the nylon strap is a bit heavier duty. I chose to get the adapter bases that double as Arca Swiss compatible QR plates, so I don't need to remove them if I want to mount the body on a tripod. But they are pricey. . .Nice find!
Scott[/QUOTE]
SCOTT.
that's exactly my reason..
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:14 AM   #6

got this yesterday and set it up.
major gripe,, is that it severely limits the use of the right index finger..
build is it's plastic but is better than excepted(a lot)...

scott,
any suggestions?????????
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:43 PM   #7

scott,
any suggestions?????????
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:16 PM   #8

Quote:
scott,
any suggestions?????????
Hi Roy,

I use a 3/8" heavy duty split ring (got em in a fishing tackle shop) in the camera strap slot, and attach the strap to the split ring. This allows the strap to move a bit beyond the slot -- You're quite a bit taller than I am -- so I'll assume that one of the problems is that your fingers are a lot longer. You might have to use a larger split ring.

Anyway, I've got split rings on both sides -- allows me to attach a neck strap with QR clips in addition to the grip strap.

Scott
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:35 PM   #9

what keeps the rings from scratching the body??

the strap on this runs inside the grip. i cut a couple small holes and ran them on the back side for twice the padding
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:18 PM   #10

Quote:
what keeps the rings from scratching the body??

the strap on this runs inside the grip. i cut a couple small holes and ran them on the back side for twice the padding
Hi Roy,

I've done nothing to protect any of the bodies, and haven't had any scratching problem on any of my bodies in over 4 years (just took a very close look at the DS). I guess you could take a small section of thin leather or vinyl and cut a slit to slip it over the ring, or even use a larger one over the strap anchor, like the ones that come on the K-7, but. . .

Sounds like a good modification. I rarely seem to be able to leave things the way they come from a mfg.

So how do you like using a grip strap? It takes some getting used to, and sometimes it's a bother when you need to use both hands for something else, but for me, it's easily the best way to carry and use a camera. I've taken care of the "need both hands" thing though with the Cotton Carrier -- a pricey solution, but easily the best option for me. If I'm using one body, I have the option of wearing the harness, or just having the holster on my belt if I have to dress like a real civilized person, which for me, is a rare occasion. . .

Scott