Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   August Monthly Challenge (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/158129-august-monthly-challenge.html)

Wingman Aug 6, 2009 11:48 AM

August Monthly Challenge

Here's are the details for this month's challenge:

Theme for August: BLUE

As always, pictures should have been taken with a Pentax/Samsung DSLR within the past 90 days. Image size should not exceed 800 pixels on its longest side.

As this past month's winner, I will abstain from participating.

It's a simple theme but one that I think can be open to interpretation (i.e. color, mood, music, etc).

Have fun with it!:camera:

bluenose Aug 6, 2009 3:19 PM

Sandy Point Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

1 Attachment(s)
I'll start with this. Taken at the end of June at Sandy Point, Nova Scotia.
(Pentax K200D, kit lens)

Regards

danielchtong Aug 6, 2009 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelpee (Post 989656)
Here's are the details for this month's challenge:

Theme for August: BLUE

As this past month's winner, I will abstain from participating.[/SIZE]

I think there is no such a rule. There is no need for abstaining at all

Daniel

Wingman Aug 6, 2009 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielchtong (Post 989698)
I think there is no such a rule. There is no need for abstaining at all

Daniel

Daniel, I do not want anyone to think that I picked a theme for which I already might have a good candidate image. I realize there is no rule; it is just my decision.

mole Aug 8, 2009 6:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my favorite late-summer wildflowers has just come into bloom. It's tough to photograph because it's tiny, and grows in hot sunny places full of glare & wind. But I'll make Bluecurls my entry anway! (PS - thanks for another great choice of topic!)

Peacekeeper Aug 8, 2009 11:00 PM

Blue Sky

http://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/...1__AMM5314.jpg

Rodney9 Aug 9, 2009 5:59 AM

Blue Temperature

1 Attachment(s)
A macro shot of my Floating Galileo Thermometer.
Taken tonight with my K20D and Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di with 2x TC

Rodney

bilybianca Aug 9, 2009 3:26 PM

A thrilling image, but how the h*ck do you read the temperature???

Kjell

bilybianca Aug 9, 2009 3:30 PM

Code:

Originally posted by Peacekeeper
Blue Sky

Good to hear from you and see that you're still kickin', PK. This shot, was it taken in Alice Springs? Or are you on mission in Switzerland?;)

Kjell

mtngal Aug 9, 2009 5:25 PM

PK - that's quite a picture, and did bring me up short for a second. I just drove back home through summer desert heat and didn't at first remember that there are ski resorts in Australia. I'm already tired of summer, and there's still a couple of months to go, so I envy you your winter.

mtnman Aug 9, 2009 7:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me, August in northern New England can mean only one thing: Blueberry season!

Monza76 Aug 10, 2009 1:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I call it the flaming chicken.

mtngal Aug 10, 2009 2:21 PM

Ira - beautiful paint job - was that original? I always wanted a Firebird or a Camaro (or a Mustang, etc.), until I decided I'd rather have a car with a transfer case and a roll bar.

nhmom Aug 10, 2009 4:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posting while I'm thinking about it. I'll continue to look for something else during the month. This was taken about a month ago when we were at Massabesic Lake to get the sunset. But, as you can see, there was no sky to get it. The clouds were supposed to have cleared out. But, when I saw the topic it reminded me of these. This is actually the moon reflecting on the water. ~~~~~ Well, not reflecting on the water any more.

Patty

8/22 - I'm changing my mind again. Taken today out a Odiorne Science Center beach.

Monza76 Aug 11, 2009 6:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngal (Post 990519)
Ira - beautiful paint job - was that original? I always wanted a Firebird or a Camaro (or a Mustang, etc.), until I decided I'd rather have a car with a transfer case and a roll bar.

Harriet, the day I shot this there were 5 other old T/As, I got all off the decals but I am not sure which were original and which may have been reproductions. I will post the rest in another thread.

simowills Aug 11, 2009 7:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Te weather here has been miserable, the whole city seems down & flat blue you might say ;)

Simon

Peacekeeper Aug 12, 2009 7:14 AM

Yes I am still alive hehe. Yes we have a whole ski season and snow fields during winter in certain parts of Australia. I will post some others in a different post.

a200user Aug 12, 2009 9:47 PM

Morning Glory
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...er/Blue1-1.jpg

Jim

thedoctor Aug 15, 2009 1:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I first got my K20 and read about the monthly competition I thought 'what would I do as a competition?' and it would have been very similar to this month but I would have gone for green - think I was influenced by it being spring. Anyway I have been having a think about what I could enter for this months competition, was thinking of a small patch of blue sky in amongst the clouds but there hasn't been any nice patches. So I have tried to be a bit creative, what do you think? I got to eat my subject as well which was nice.

Keithw Aug 15, 2009 5:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think my entry falls into the the "could have been better" category but it seems to meet the criteria for the competition.

Steve Broughton, the drummer with the Edgar Broughton Band, just visible behind his drums.

nhmom Aug 15, 2009 7:19 PM

More cool images. Really cool. Especially that you got to eat yours "thedoctor".

Patty

Goldwinger Aug 15, 2009 8:42 PM

Well... I changed my mind and decided to go with this one.

http://goldwinger.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p1072975486-4.jpg

Wingman Aug 15, 2009 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewel45 (Post 992081)
Not sure I understand the rule but I thought Id post anyway and see

Hello Jewel, don't believe I've seen you here before...welcome! Rules for the challenge are the following:
1. Picture taken with a Pentax/Samsung DSLR
2. Picture taken within the last 90 days
We recommend image dimension to be 800 pixels on its longest side.
I was unable to read your EXIF information, but it works on an honor system anyway.

Forum members vote on the winning image (no specific criteria) at the end of the month. The winner gets bragging rights and the task of assigning the following month's theme!

jewel45 Aug 15, 2009 10:14 PM

delete of images

:o Sorry fellow photographers being a novice I didnt understand the rules my apologies i have since delted my pics. :)

MadMikeSS Aug 15, 2009 10:34 PM

Francis Scott Key bridge crossing the Patapsco River which opens into the Chesapeake Bay.
http://www.thepengellys.com/stuff/va...e/IMGP9199.jpg

MadMikeSS Aug 15, 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedoctor (Post 991994)
When I first got my K20 and read about the monthly competition I thought 'what would I do as a competition?' and it would have been very similar to this month but I would have gone for green - think I was influenced by it being spring. Anyway I have been having a think about what I could enter for this months competition, was thinking of a small patch of blue sky in amongst the clouds but there hasn't been any nice patches. So I have tried to be a bit creative, what do you think? I got to eat my subject as well which was nice.

Did you eat the red ones last?

StevieRaveOn Aug 16, 2009 6:56 AM

Lilly Blue

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
I'll toss this one into the mix.

Stevie

beachboy2 Aug 16, 2009 9:31 AM

Hi Everyone. Lots of cool shots. Since I'm just back from a brief holiday in the north of West Australia, an appropiate photo for this month may be the attached:
A "blue" whale in the deep blue off Ningaloo reef. We spotted it and companions when they "blew".
Taken with K20D and Tamron 80-210.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/p...galoo_web2.jpg

bluenose Aug 16, 2009 9:35 AM

beachboy2, great shot. I imagine it was tricky to plan for the right moment to trip the shutter.

Regards

beachboy2 Aug 16, 2009 9:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenose (Post 992217)
beachboy2, great shot. I imagine it was tricky to plan for the right moment to trip the shutter.

Regards

Not at all. Just took lots of frames. Hardest thing was keeping the manual lens focussed-one of those times I would like to have had my Bigma in use!
cheers
bb2

bahadir Aug 16, 2009 11:06 AM

Needless to say, a favourite place for kids, providing also a good complementary colour for blue in the late afternoon! Hey, parents may also enjoy shooting : )

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/...b9086024_o.jpg

mtngal Aug 16, 2009 8:31 PM

I may decide to change this to one of the other pictures I took today, or perhaps to something that I will take later on in the month. I couldn't decide if I wanted to post a mostly blue picture, or one of contrast. So since there's lots of mostly blue pictures, I chose contrast.

Water for a Dry City:

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p380290380-4.jpg

This is a section of the California Aqueduct - this transports water from northern to southern California. It crosses over the mountains that are north of Los Angeles county. This is a section near the top, in the Antelope Valley. As this picture shows, the area is rural and very dry. We need some rain very badly.

Goldwinger Aug 17, 2009 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like that one Harriet!

Keithw Aug 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Harriett, I'm with GW - that is one terrific photo.

Not that I am pre-judging the way I'm going to vote

rhermans Aug 17, 2009 2:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

just got back from a sunny vacation on the island of Rhodos Greece , and would like to add this one.

It's taken with a k20d + tamron 18-200 at 200mm, f8.

I saw a lot of people taking pictures on the small pier in front of the hotel,
but this was the only couple smart enough to got to the edge. :D
When I saw them taking position I ran back into to the room got the camera and was just in time for this shot.

Goldwinger Aug 17, 2009 6:32 PM

LOL!
cool shot Ronny.

mtngal Aug 17, 2009 10:04 PM

Thanks GW and Keith. I sure wish there could be some green around - everything is very dry.

Ronny - your timing on that shot is absolutely perfect! At least she's appropriately attired, it would have been worse if she hadn't been wearing a bathing suit.

Goldwinger Aug 18, 2009 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngal (Post 992715)
Thanks GW and Keith. I sure wish there could be some green around - everything is very dry.

Ronny - your timing on that shot is absolutely perfect! At least she's appropriately attired, it would have been worse if she hadn't been wearing a bathing suit.

Hmmm... I think it would have been better if she wasn't wearing one... :D

PDL Aug 19, 2009 6:13 PM

My Attempt for this month.
Door detail from Mama's Mexican Kitchen restaurant, Belltown neighborhood, Seattle, WA.

K20D, f/8, 1/6 th (SR on), ISO 100 - kit lens (pt II) @ 55mm

PDL

Black Knight Aug 20, 2009 3:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my Submission for this month. Been on vacation this week and ventured North To nhmoms territory. While on the way we went to a Butterfly conservatory. While wondering around i came upon this.