Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:39 AM   #1

Default Another question

Okay, sorting through my photos now to determine which to bring to the library. But, now I'm wondering how I should put these together.

For the fairs, they either need to be in a frame or one fair requests they be mounted on mat board.

So, I'm looking to find out how others get their prints ready. I know this is not the "professional" way to do it. But, this is what we've done for the fairs where we get at most $7 for a first prize ribbon. So, cheapest is best. It usually ends up costing us much more to get photos ready this cheap way than we ever make out from ribbons.

Tape the photo the back side of the mat using scotch tape, then for the ones with a mat board, use double stick tape to tape the mat board to the mat. That mat board is what really kills us on the any profit.

Since these photos will not specifically be for sale, I'd rather not spend a ton of them. But, if someone wants a particular print I could get it professionally mounted and framed - I think. I have no idea how much that costs.

So, after you're finished laughing at the way we've been doing our photos, I'm open to any suggestions.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nothing to laugh at Patty--my method is pretty much the same:

Order a 11 x 14 print from Printroom.com (best quality that I have found) for about $4 per enlargement.
Purchase a Mat from Walmart ($3.99)
Glue the photo to either foam board or display board (Staples @1 per picture image)
Tape the mounted picture to the back of the mat.
Total cost is about $8/ 11 x 14 enlargement. If I use a double mat, it adds about another $3.
I typically buy mats off the shelf as a custom made matt adds about $10-$20 depending on the card stock etc.
I'm not sure if this is an effective way since I have yet to win any ribbons at the local couunty fair!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:04 PM   #3

Thanks, jelpee. Now I don't feel too bad about my method. I'll have to check out printroom.com for prints. I usually just go to Ritz if I'm not printing at home on my old printer.

Yep, forget the custom mats. I can't afford them for what I'm doing with them. I usually use my Michael's/AC Moore coupons for those.

What kind of glue do you use? I had been using removable tape because I interchange them for the fairs. By the way, the only reason I've won ribbons at the fairs is they use the Dutch method (??) of everyone gets a ribbon. But, I have gotten quite a few firsts. Just not too many extra first, like best in show, etc. That's when you make the big bucks. Actually, we've been talking about maybe not entering this year since it's so much work for a ribbon and anywhere between $2 - $7 prize.

Actually, I could probably do some of these as 11 x 14. The fairs a lot of times require 8 x 10.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:23 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Hi Patty,

For glue, I either use rubber cement or the peel away photo sticker squares (takes about 30 of them for a 11 x 14 since they are very small). Do not use Elmers Glue since it is water based and will cause your photo paper to wrinkle. Rubber cement is solvent based and will not alter the paper or cardboard/mat surface. Both Rubber cement and the mounting squares allow for removal, but are quite firm in the stikcing powere.

As for mounting the board to the frame, I usually trim the board to be smaller than the mat and either use masking tape or scotchtape to fix the board to the mat.

This is my last year for entering the Boone County fair. I submitted my entries this past Sunday and I go tomorrow to find out who won ribbons. The winners get up $100 in cash.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:29 PM   #5

Hi Patty -- my wife cuts her own mats (which may be even more expensive than having them custom cut). She gets absolutely gorgeous results, but it's pricey. She uses a special adhesive that comes in a spray can; she gets that at art supply stores (online places are cheaper, but she usually runs out in the middle of doing a big job, so she needs another can immediately). When the back of the print is evenly coated with a thin layer of the spray adhesive she carefully places it on foam core bord and uses a small roller to press the print on to the foam core. When it's dry she attaches the mat (or two mats) using "hinge tape," which is exactly what it sounds like. The system works well, but it's pricey and very time consuming.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6

Hi all,
one of the advantages of joining a local photographic club is the availability of discount mats and advice on mounting etc.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote