Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:29 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Tropical images part 1 (5 images)

Dateline: St. Lucia, British West Indies

It's taken me a week to sort and edit my images. I thought I'd do a 3 part series that focuses (no pun intended) on different aspects of St. Lucia. While most visitors are attracted to the beaches in the Caribbean, I thought I'd start Part 1 with what really surprised me: the spectacular interior scenery of mountains, rain forests and picturesque fishing villages.

All images taken with the K10D + DA 18-250 mm (some with a Cokin polarizing filter).

St. Lucia's National Landmark: The Pitons (Gros & Petit). The wisp of smoke in the middle of the image is a volcanic opening that spews steam.

Touraille Waterfalls (also available for a refreshingly cool shower)

Within the rainforest. Was very humid and surrounded by 70 foot tall palms and ferns. We took in a 3 hour guided walk.

A picturesque fishing village on the westen coast (I'm not sure if this is Anse La Raye or Caneries). I was captivated by the colored roofs of the houses sorrounded by lush tropical greens against the cobalt blue Caribbean Sea.

The beginings of bananas. The island is abundant with banana plantations. This is a banana flower.

Stay tuned...Part 2 will be street life followed by Part 3 (beach vistas).

Last edited by Wingman; Aug 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:25 PM   #2

Jay
Awesome Shots. I just love the Caribbean and all the Various colors and plants. If you get a Chance try to get to St Johns. So far this has been my favorite island in the Caribbean

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:37 PM   #3

Wow, jelpee!
these are just beautiful!

I love the village.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:39 PM   #4

Very nice shooting. Really like the composition in the first one, and the waterfall is beautiful. Looks like that 18-250 served you well.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5

Wow, beautiful shots of a beautiful island. One more place I'll have to add to the list of places I want to go.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6

These are really wonderful shots! I'm another who never thinks of this type of scenery when I think of islands. This type of scenery tempts me far more than beaches, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:07 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Jay
Awesome Shots. I just love the Caribbean and all the Various colors and plants. If you get a Chance try to get to St Johns. So far this has been my favorite island in the Caribbean

Phil
Thanks Phil! We're making our way around the Caribbean and St.John's is on the list. Last year we almost made it to Vigin Gorda which is fairly close to St. John's, but visited the Turks & Caicos Islands instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Wow, jelpee!
these are just beautiful!
I love the village.
Thanks GW! My image does not do justice to the actual vista and the quiet ambience of the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Very nice shooting. Really like the composition in the first one, and the waterfall is beautiful. Looks like that 18-250 served you well.

Paul
Thanks Paul! The Piton's are a sight to behold especially against the backdrop of the Caribbean Sea. And yes, I am big fan of the 18-250! Having heard of your losses in Hawaii, I took my K10D on my travels (vs. my K20D) and I had purchased the DA 18-250 in order to travel light. I recommend it highly for travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Wow, beautiful shots of a beautiful island. One more place I'll have to add to the list of places I want to go.
Thanks Mtnman! Some of the Caribbean Islands are coral islands which have spectacular beaches, but not much else. St. Lucia being a volcanic island has a good mix of interior and coastal beauty. Also culturally it is very rich with British, French, Creole, African and Indian influence. For. e.g. most of the town names are French; street names are English; food is mostly Creole and Indian; Music is Calypso (sounds like African origin). It is now one of my top places to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
These are really wonderful shots! I'm another who never thinks of this type of scenery when I think of islands. This type of scenery tempts me far more than beaches, though.
Thanks Hariett...I too was surprised at the beuty of the interior. I went for the beach and was wowed by everything else. It sure is a feast for the eyes, the palette, and being such a relaxing environment, good for the soul too!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:15 PM   #8

Wonderful, jelpee. The waterfall is stunning and I really like the village shot. Actually, I like them all.

Just saw a show on St Johns this morning. Was making me want to get out and go shooting since the weather is great today. But, need to finish cleaning carpets first. The dry weather is perfect for that, too.

I'm ordering the 18-250 tonight when B&H starts taking orders again. I don't know what it is, but I always go to them when they are "closed". Did it last weekend, too and then forgot all week to go back. Until Friday, that is.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. These are lovely and I look forward to seeing part 2 and 3.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:55 PM   #9

Beautiful shots - such varied subjects captured so well! Will look forward to seeing the rest!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:27 PM   #10

Jelpee, you're off to a roaring start with these photos, all are great shots.

I'm sure by now you understand the great versatility of the 18-250. You seem to have mastered it quickly. Anxious to see more of your adventure!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote