Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Gig photography - first impression ...

... is that it's harder than it looks (especially with the 18-55mm kit lens!).

There were 2 things that made it awkward - first the lighting; obviously I hear you say but it's less the lack of light more the number of lights behind the band, Secondly, there was what at first appeared to be smoke but I'm fairly certain that it was water vapour/mist. So often. not only was it between the camera lens and the artist, but it was being illuminated by an overhead or rear light.

Anyway, I took a couple of hundred shots, some in burst mode, and a quick look through suggests that there might be a few that might turn out OK with a bit/lot of PP. Several more should also be more than adequate at a lower resolution

In the end I didn't use flash but set the poor old GX-10 to ISO800; and it shows. But a combination of the noise reduction facility in Lightroom and upping the blacks definitely helps. In fact, the mist looks more intrusive than the noise. I suspect that it's the photographers that will see the noise, others will see the band. Should have said, the band in question (and you have to be over a certain age, and probably British, to recognise the name) was the Edgar Broughton Band.

The gig was a sort-of homecoming for them as they started in that general area some 40 years ago.

Assuming there any that are worthy of posting, I will do so (hopefully this weekend). Otherwise I'll just lock myself away with my EBB mp3s and repeat to myself, "I wish I was a real photographer like those guys on Steve's DigiCams"

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithw View Post
... is that it's harder than it looks (especially with the 18-55mm kit lens!).

There were 2 things that made it awkward - first the lighting; obviously I hear you say but it's less the lack of light more the number of lights behind the band, Secondly, there was what at first appeared to be smoke but I'm fairly certain that it was water vapour/mist. So often. not only was it between the camera lens and the artist, but it was being illuminated by an overhead or rear light.

Anyway, I took a couple of hundred shots, some in burst mode, and a quick look through suggests that there might be a few that might turn out OK with a bit/lot of PP. Several more should also be more than adequate at a lower resolution

In the end I didn't use flash but set the poor old GX-10 to ISO800; and it shows. But a combination of the noise reduction facility in Lightroom and upping the blacks definitely helps. In fact, the mist looks more intrusive than the noise. I suspect that it's the photographers that will see the noise, others will see the band. Should have said, the band in question (and you have to be over a certain age, and probably British, to recognise the name) was the Edgar Broughton Band.

The gig was a sort-of homecoming for them as they started in that general area some 40 years ago.

Assuming there any that are worthy of posting, I will do so (hopefully this weekend). Otherwise I'll just lock myself away with my EBB mp3s and repeat to myself, "I wish I was a real photographer like those guys on Steve's DigiCams"
Keith

Sounds challenging. And look forward to seeing a couple of shots. The kit lens is more than capable if you use its sweet spots like between 25-50mm

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Looking forward to seeing how you got on. Actually lighting from behind (as long as there is some front lighting or you balance with flash) is really desired. Here is an old one (it was easily to hand) that gives an idea for your next time out.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote