Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:39 PM   #1

Default which RAW format?

Hi All

is there any difference between the two RAW formats offered by the K20, benefits of one over the other? I guess there must be otherwise why have two formats. I have been shooting in PEF and using the Pentax software, but I have now acquired a copy of Photoshop CS2 which won't open PEF files but is happy with the DNG files. Obviously can do a lot more with Photoshop and once I remember how to use it / re-learn it (haven't used it for over 4 years) I will use it probably exclusively for any post-processing.

Thanks
Michael
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:11 PM   #2

Personally I don't notice any difference between the two as far as quality goes, but there are those who say that PEF has slightly higher quality. The DNG files are not compressed, while the PEF files are, which means that they take up more memory, if that's an issue for you. Personally, I use DNG, mainly because I also use Lightroom and can save keywords and copyright information to the metadata of a DNG file. You can't do that with PEF, you have to save such things to a side-car XMP file.

You bring up an interesting point about CS2. Photoshop opens raw files using ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), which is a separate program. The latest version of ACR doesn't work with CS2 - I think it only works with CS4. I do know that there was a version of ACR that would work with CS2 and that would recognize the K20's PEF files - I used it all last year (until I bought a Mac computer). Take a look around Adobe's website for whatever edition of ACR was the last one that would work with CS2 - hopefully there's still a link available and you'd be able to download it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:34 AM   #3

DNG. Just easier with CS3 and Lightroom to me.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I do know that there was a version of ACR that would work with CS2 and that would recognize the K20's PEF files - I used it all last year (until I bought a Mac computer).
Are you sure you were not using CS3 versus CS2 (or you're thinking of the K10D versus K20D)?

The K20D wasn't added until Adobe Camera Raw version 4.4.1, which requires CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3905

The last version of Camera Raw available for CS3 was 4.6 (but, it won't work with CS2):

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4040

The last version of Camera Raw available for CS2 was 3.7, released in February 2007. The K10D was just added for that Camera Raw release. Newer Pentax models are not supported by it (unless you are using DNG or convert to dng using Adobe's DNG converter).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3587
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5

Jim - I think you are right, now that I consider things. I use Lightroom primarily for photo organization and a lot of my basic editing. The later versions of ACR would work with Lightroom, so it didn't bother me that the ACR that works with CS2 didn't open the K20 files. I just did the conversion and whatever changes I wanted to make in Lightroom, then exported the file which automatically opened in CS2.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote