Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:59 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Troical Imaes Part 2

Here is the 2nd installment of my travels to the Caribbean. This time I thought I would share images of every day living on the island of St. Lucia. Once again, K10D + DA 18-250.

An average Joe on the streets of Castries

Stopped in at a road side eatery and found this: Roasting Casava flour to make bread.

A vendor selling fruit...that's right... off his boat...not sure what the meaning of the flags of the world, but I thought it was an interesting sight...

Inside the Craft Market in Castries. BTW, this image could use some straightening, but I'm in between changing computers and I have not loaded PSE to this new machine.

Stay tuned for Part 3 in a couple of days when I'll have the beach scenery.

Last edited by Wingman; Aug 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:16 PM   #2

Nice series. I like the boat with the flags and the man roasting the flour. They give me the flavor of the Island!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:57 PM   #3

HI Jay,

Looks like that lens leaves little to be desired as single lens solution for a vacation walkaround. As my pack mule capacity declines with age, I should be thinking more compact zooms and less fast tele primes. . .

Great scenes, colors, and captures!!!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:04 PM   #4

Such a colorful place. Nice to see the every day spots and not just the touristy shots.

Patty

p.s. Finally got around to calling B&H today for the Tamron 18-250. Needed to call because of how I was paying for it. Should have it by week's end. I really could have used it yesterday. I must have changed lenses 2 dozen times.

Last edited by nhmom; Aug 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:04 PM   #5

All four are good, but I really like the man roasting flour---definitely not something you'd see just anywhere.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:52 AM   #6

Another very interesting and carefully-composed series. I agree that all are great, but the flour-roaster is most fascinating. Keep 'em coming!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:48 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Nice series. I like the boat with the flags and the man roasting the flour. They give me the flavor of the Island!

Lou
Thanks Lou! I think people make are truly what give a place its character. As I was photographing, I tried to capture some of that aspect without being too nosy (the 250mm zoom came in handy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
HI Jay,

Looks like that lens leaves little to be desired as single lens solution for a vacation walkaround. As my pack mule capacity declines with age, I should be thinking more compact zooms and less fast tele primes. . .

Great scenes, colors, and captures!!!

Scott
I have no regrets at all about the 18-250 zoom Scott. Initially I was skeptical about the performance of a zoom with such a long range. But for less than $350, this lens has some great performance characteristisc. With a K20D + grip, the lower weight of this lens is a big plus when travelling. BTW, I used a flash with the Sto-fen Omni Bounce on the one of the guy roasting the flour .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Such a colorful place. Nice to see the every day spots and not just the touristy shots.

Patty

p.s. Finally got around to calling B&H today for the Tamron 18-250. Needed to call because of how I was paying for it. Should have it by week's end. I really could have used it yesterday. I must have changed lenses 2 dozen times.
Thanks Patty...so much to see, do and photograph...St. Lucia is on my list of places to return. As for the touristy shots, I'm saving it for the last segment of this series. You will like the 18-250 range of the Tamron...hopefully you will get the same performance since the Pentax is allegedly a rebadged Tamron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
All four are good, but I really like the man roasting flour---definitely not something you'd see just anywhere.

Paul
Thanks Paul! Watching the guy was a treat and so was the the Casava bread. The bread is baked on a banana leaf (presumably for moisture retention) on an open skillet and comes in different flavors. Very heavy and filling and good for a day's trek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Another very interesting and carefully-composed series. I agree that all are great, but the flour-roaster is most fascinating. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks Mole...I know you are someone else who puts that 18-250mm lens to great use.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:21 PM   #8

Great shots jelpee!
The lady with her hand over her face really tickles me, you'd think she'd be use to it by now

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9

Excellent series - very colorful indeed! Scott - I know what you mean about having to juggle weight and optical quality. Size vs. speed. Fast teles vs. convenience. I've been having a terrible time since the Redondo Beach K-7 event, trying to talk myself out of the DA*300 and the DA*200. After all, do I really need f2.8 when I have the DA 55-300? And The DA*300 is huge compared to the A*300. But it out-performs the A. Sigh.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote