Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:26 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Hoodman Loupe

Purchased one of these gizmos a few weeks ago and thought I'd provide a report. While a bit pricey at $75, it is very useful in enabling you to view the LCD under all lighting conditions. It also has an adjustable eye piece. For those of us who need who need them, the diopter adjustment on the eye piece enables the need for reading glasses. It hangs conveniently around your neck or fits in a little pouch that has a belt clip. In other words, it is no trouble at all to carry.Also it can be used on LCD's up to 3" in size.

I'd definitely recommend putting it on the Santa list!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:50 PM   #2

I've had mine for a few years and love it. Used it this weekend while shooting up in the mountains. The bright sun was too much to see anything.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3

Hi Jay,

I got mine earlier this year. It's a great accessory for any DSLR if you use the LCD a lot.

I haven't tried video mode yet, and might never use it, but I'd think that attaching the loupe to the camera via a couple of rubber bands (as opposed to their $19 accessory straps), and using the loupe as a big EVF, a videographer could probably shoot handheld a lot better than by holding the cam at arm's length. With the video mode as it is, you can't AF during the video clip, so the loupe would allow the videographer to MF more accurately while shooting. It could also be used this way for Live View when the cam is on a tripod (probably not for macros though)

I looked at everything that I could imagine that might serve this purpose, and couldn't find anything close to this product. But I'm starting to worry myself. . .wandering about with the Hoodloupe, a pair of binocs (Pentax ones of course), and an extra body around my neck, I'm starting to feel like I'm turning into a geeky photographic version Mr. T. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:56 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Jay,

But I'm starting to worry myself. . .wandering about with the Hoodloupe, a pair of binocs (Pentax ones of course), and an extra body around my neck, I'm starting to feel like I'm turning into a geeky photographic version Mr. T. . .

Scott
LOL..you're right: between the reading glasses, the loupe, the WB disc, and the camera, we may be giving Mr. T some competition!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Jay,

But I'm starting to worry myself. . .wandering about with the Hoodloupe, a pair of binocs (Pentax ones of course), and an extra body around my neck, I'm starting to feel like I'm turning into a geeky photographic version Mr. T. . .

Scott
I was feeling similarly on Sunday with my backpack on my back and the camera and hoodman hanging in front. Then, I was also carrying my monopod, which actually came in handy as a climbing stick on the rocks. My husband kept teasing he just had to look for the person with all the stuff hanging from her body.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote