Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Some assorted vacation photos

Went on vacation with the family for about 8 days. Baltimore, Annapolis, Gettysburg and Hershey on the menu. Had a good time despite the kids driving us nuts. The heat was a little crazy as well. Here are a few pictures I'd like to share.

7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse in the Inner Harbour of Baltimore

Jellyfish from the National Aquarium
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:44 PM   #2

Crane at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore

Francis Scott Key Bridge from Fort McHenry

Fort McHenry
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:47 PM   #3

The Tomb of John Paul Jones

Devil's Den and Slaughter Pen from Little Round Top at Gettysburg
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:52 PM   #4

Something for the kids, Chocolate World in Hershey PA

Red-Tailed Hawk at ZooAmerica in Hershey PA

Some cave formations from Indian Echo Caverns near Hershey PA - This is called the wedding cake

Yes, there are a lot of pictures. I hope you enjoyed these, if you want to view more, please visit the page I created: Vacation Pictures
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:21 PM   #5

Very nice series! Really like the jelly fish - so often there's not much light for jellyfish displays and it's harder than you think to photograph them. Your picture is very nicely done. I've never been that close to a red-tailed hawk, they have interesting face coloring/feathering. Your vacation sure looks interesting!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Very nice series! Really like the jelly fish - so often there's not much light for jellyfish displays and it's harder than you think to photograph them. Your picture is very nicely done. I've never been that close to a red-tailed hawk, they have interesting face coloring/feathering. Your vacation sure looks interesting!
Yeah, I actually donned the 50mm f/2 lens for the jellyfish, actually did alright with manual focus for a change. The Red-Tailed Hawk was actually on the other side of a window of a viewing area, but he was sitting on a post about a foot from the window so I was able to get real close, I had to use the flash for that because of the way the sunlight was hitting him though. We always try to do something geared towards the kids for vacation (zoos, museums, etc) and throw in the odd adult oriented items.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:18 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Brought back some memories for me...I recognize the scenes from Baltimore and Hershey...especially chocolate world. Did you get to Hershey Gardens at all? Very nice pictures..well composed and executed. The one of the Jelly fish is definitely a stand out!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Brought back some memories for me...I recognize the scenes from Baltimore and Hershey...especially chocolate world. Did you get to Hershey Gardens at all? Very nice pictures..well composed and executed. The one of the Jelly fish is definitely a stand out!
Yes we did actually, but it was so incredibly hot and humid that I didn't really feel inclined to take many pictures. There is a butterfly house there and I got a few pictures there, but otherwise I didn't really stop too long to admire the flowers, which was a shame. It was just too hot, I was getting dehydrated with all my sweating and really couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:56 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I looked at the rest of your pictures and they all look great! Where was the railroad museum? I am a RR buff and would love to visit there (I visit the DC/Balltimore area about once a year on my travels to Long Island).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:56 PM   #10

Lovely shots, Mike. Looks like you had quite the assortment of venues.

I'm jealous of the jellyfish shot. I've been going through photos I've taken this year in search of new ones for my exhibit and came across the tons of jellyfish shots I took at the New England Aquarium back in January. Haven't got too many keepers and none as good as yours here.

And, I love that hawk and lighthouse, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote