Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:09 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I'm fortunate to be in a position where I've been able to get most of the camera toys I would like. I still really want the Canon 400mm f2.8 but not been able to justify it as my sports shooting has dropped to almost zero. Also on the list was the 200mm f2 which is so sharp it is scary. I am thinking of getting a good macro however I'm looking at a move to Egypt so trying to be sensible (which is hard).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:29 PM   #12

Mark - who cares about being sensible, there's nothing more fun than a good macro lens. You can use it for all kinds of things, I never go anywhere without mine. And there are good macros out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, like your 400mm f2.8. I can't imagine using one of those - I'm going to occasionally have trouble hand-holding the DA*300 f4. But the results are definitely worth it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:32 PM   #13
Super Moderator

LOL, true but I have too much kit (did I say that aloud??) 5 dSLRs, 1 superzoom, one compact and then 9 lenses, 2 flash units, 5 studio strobes etc etc. I could have bought a nice new car for all that LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Patty,
I know exactly what you're going through, been there, done that!

What's worse is when, on Thursday, you pay $50 for next day delivery and on Friday they try to deliver it when you aren't home so they leave a note saying they will deliver it on Monday.
Yes, I've had that happen and it got extended beyond just to Monday.

A lens (I think it was my other Tamron) was to be delivered to the house on Thursday, they left a note saying I needed to sign for, I left a note for Friday saying it was okay to leave it, they left a note saying they couldn't, I called them Saturday morning and they said I could drive the 45 minute drive to pick it up between 4 and 6, made the drive, there wasn't a soul there, called when I got home, they said "we're never open on Saturdays", they said to call them Monday and they'd hold it, called Monday at 7 a.m. but the truck was already gone, told them to please hold and I'd come get Tuesday a.m. before work, they said okay it was all set. Well, you can guess it, I went Tuesday a.m. and they never got the message it was on the truck again for delivery to my house still needing a signature. I finally did get it Wednesday morning. Good thing as they would not have attempted delivery again.

Well, I'm home now (as you can probably tell) and I have the lens in hand. Need to run out so can't play with it. Maybe tomorrow at lunch. Thanks for all the distractions while I waited.

Harriet glad to hear you got your stuff. Anxiously waiting to see some of your photos with them. I go with your logic - get them all now before there's no money. (Sorry to hear they will be pay cuts. We had no raises this year either.)

Oh, and I hope this doesn't mean I have LBA now. No, it can't. Because I already had it!

Cameanee - just get the camera. If hubby isn't saying no, now's the time. Oh, and I just assumed everyone knew what I was getting since I've been drooling for so long. I bought the Tamron 18-250. I wanted something I could carry back and forth to work that wouldn't require me changing lenses. And, for those times like visiting my grandchild when switching lenses is impossible.

Thanks again for distracting me.
Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:14 PM   #15

Patty - As a matter of fact, I do recall you wanting that lens. Look foward to seeing what you capture with it.

Harriett - To get those lenses all at once is both exciting and enviable. Good for you.

Last edited by cameanee; Aug 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
Patty - As a matter of fact, I do recall you wanting that lens. Look foward to seeing what you capture with it.

Harriett - To get those lenses all at once is both exciting and enviable. Good for you.
So, when are you ordering the K-7?

I'll hopefully be able to get out at lunch tomorrow for sure now as I now have a new committment for after work that will keep my from trying it out.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:48 PM   #17

Well, it's rather a mixed bag, but I'm not totally surprised. The DA*300 is as brilliant as I thought it was last week - it's incredibly sharp though it's big and I think I better get a QR plate for it sooner, rather than later. The SR on the K-7 seems to be better than the K20 - I'm getting sharp pictures with slower shutter speeds than I could get with the K20.

The DA*200 is another outstanding lens - may not be as sharp as the DA*300, but it's got really lovely bokeh.

I didn't get a chance to spend much time with the 10-17, but it seems like I'll have as much fun as I had anticipated with it, and might find it more useful than I had expected. I'm not quite sure how sharp it is, didn't play with it enough to really find out (but first glance at the couple of pictures I did take, it looked pretty good).

The DA*16-50 is a bad copy - not at all sharp and decentered. So I already have a return authorization from B&H and will exchange it. I've heard that the lens is excellent if you get a good copy, and I thought there were fewer complaints about faulty lenses recently. But I knew when I ordered it that there was a possibility it would be bad, so no surprise. I just hope the replacement is a good one.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:23 PM   #18

Quote:
The DA*16-50 is a bad copy - not at all sharp and decentered. So I already have a return authorization from B&H and will exchange it. I've heard that the lens is excellent if you get a good copy, and I thought there were fewer complaints about faulty lenses recently. But I knew when I ordered it that there was a possibility it would be bad, so no surprise. I just hope the replacement is a good one.
Sorry you got a bad copy. I was wondering if you were aware of the troubled QC history of that lens and the inability of some owners of bad copies to get satisfactory repairs from Pentax. It is not one I would have ordered blind - a good argument for being able to try (in a store) before you buy.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:12 AM   #19

I would normally have done just that - bought it in a store. However, no one in LA is carrying Pentax any more so I figured that I'd be reasonably safe ordering from B&H, testing the camera immediately and returning right away. We'll see how it goes.