Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

Default I can be patient!

Okay, so I've been waiting for this lens since April when I bought the first one. You'd think I could wait until tomorrow. But, when I see it's been sitting on the UPS dock about an hour from my house since 1:30 p.m. today and I won't get it until 4 p.m. tomorrow........ And, then I have to work at my volunteer job tomorrow night and won't even be able to test it out until I get home from work Friday night!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:52 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

In the past I have called UPS as well as Fed Ex and asked for them to hold the package for me at their hub. I recall doing that when I first bought my DL. Never the less, I know the wait can seem like for ever...hang in there...at least it will be in your possession tomorrow!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3

Being patient is horrible. Not fun at all. I ordered a couple of things today from B&H and was going to noble and do their free shipping. My hubby called me about an hour after I had placed the order and told me he would rather pay the extra cost for FedEx next day, rather than watching me bounce off the walls and drive him nuts for a week while I wait for the order to come in. I called them back and asked if they would change my shipping option, so I'll have everything tomorrow morning. Even though I've arranged for the closest thing I can get to instant gratification when it comes to cross-country purchases, I still am going nuts. At least this agony will last only one night. Then tomorrow I'll let you know how crazy I went - I can't believe I did what I did (a last fling before the pay cuts hit and buying any lenses will be completely out of the question).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:51 AM   #4

He he he, Harriet. I can fully understand. I was tempted to do the overnight thing, but I'm already spending more than hubby wanted. He really wanted me to get a used one. But, having already had the one problem and knowing all the lenses that are able to get shifted figured it was worth the extra expense to buy new.

I checked this morning and it was only 30 minutes away at 4:11 a.m. Frustrating that it takes so long for a truck to move an item when my car could have driven down to NJ and gotten and been back home for days! (I know there's other things involved, just rambling.) And, it will take another 12 hours to get here!

Well, I'll have it soon enough. I think.

So, Harriet, what did you get? You never said.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:14 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
He he he, Harriet. I can fully understand. I was tempted to do the overnight thing, but I'm already spending more than hubby wanted. He really wanted me to get a used one. But, having already had the one problem and knowing all the lenses that are able to get shifted figured it was worth the extra expense to buy new.
It really makes a refreshing change to hear about someone spending more than the husband would like. Very often we hear things that someones wife doesn't want them to get so good to see it goes both ways.

This is where being single makes life easier when a new toy is on the cards LOL.

Hope you enjoy the new lens when you get it!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It really makes a refreshing change to hear about someone spending more than the husband would like. Very often we hear things that someones wife doesn't want them to get so good to see it goes both ways.
Yes it is. Can't wait to hear what goodies you guys, err, I mean girls, treated yourselves to. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on the K7. My husband can't believe I don't have it in my hands already.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:52 AM   #7

This is getting to be an interesting thread! I can certainly understand why someone, who's completely clueless when it comes to photography, has a problem with buying something that they think is expensive.

However, my husband came to the conclusion a long time ago that buying down or the cheapest item doesn't usually pay. You end up breaking the cheap item or it doesn't really do what you want it to do so you end up buying the more expensive one after all, wasting the money on the first, cheaper item. He actually cringes when I start talking about "there's this really expensive item but a cheaper one is almost as good, so I'll get the cheaper one."

That, of course, isn't a hard and fast rule, especially in photography where everything is a compromise. Sometimes other factors are more important than strictly cost.

I'm actually breaking one of my personal unwritten rules about buying lenses. I personally think one should buy only one lens at a time. Each lens has its own characteristics and you can't really learn how to get the most out of one until you've done lots of experimenting with it. And that means going out and taking all different types of subjects, not just focus charts or comparison shots. I've done the series of shots with different apertures to find where the lens becomes sharpest and that's relatively useful, but comparison shots and focus charts for the most part confuse me (unless I have a problem). Or they will not let me see how that particular lens could be better utilized - what it's strength and weaknesses are.

But I'm breaking that rule this time, because of the following reasons:

1. When you buy a K-7 there's a card that will give you rebates on a couple of lenses, one which I want but haven't wanted to pay full price for and the other I've been seriously thinking about.
2. Pentax has raised their lens prices. As places like B&H sell off their older stock, they'll have to raise their prices to match. Adorama changed the price of several of their lenses on Monday, which got me thinking that if I really wanted any of these lenses any time soon, now would be a good time to buy.
3. This will be my last chance to buy any lenses since they've put pay cuts in effective next month. In 6-8 months, when I might be interested in buying a lens again, I could easily not have the money saved up, and what I have saved now that I'm putting toward the lenses really is a drop in the bucket in the long run.
4. After going to Redondo Beach last week, a lens that I had no particular desire to buy went onto my "urrr - I REALLY want this lens. I shouldn't, I don't really "need" it, but I REALLY want it" list. I know that feeling - I had it for the 77 Limited and it stayed there for over a year before I finally broke down and bought one. I don't regret that purchase at all - it's probably my best lens.

So these 4 points pushed me over the edge and I spent far more than I probably should have. I wasn't going to mention which lenses I had coming, I was just going to casually mention them here and there as I feel somewhat embarrassed about going all out like I did. But of course, I can't keep my mouth shut once I've spent the money. I'm anxiously waiting for FedEx to deliver a package from B&H containing a DA 10-17, DA*16-50 (want the weather sealing), DA*200, DA*300. I know, the last one was very much an indulgence, but I was really impressed with it last week.

cameanee - You shouldn't disappoint your husband. Buy the K-7.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:42 PM   #8

Patty,
I know exactly what you're going through, been there, done that!

What's worse is when, on Thursday, you pay $50 for next day delivery and on Friday they try to deliver it when you aren't home so they leave a note saying they will deliver it on Monday.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:10 PM   #9

U-m-m-m-m -- does the term "obsessive compulsive" mean anything to anybody? (Hey - it takes one to know one)

Last edited by penolta; Aug 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:18 PM   #10

They call LBA an addiction for a reason. Impatience just goes along with the syndrome.

GW - my replacement K-7 had been shipped next day, to be delivered on a Friday. I saw the UPS tracking had it delivered early Friday morning to a distribution point a couple of miles from my office, but no further. By after 5 PM I was really steamed and let Amazon know that UPS owed them a complete refund! This time I had everything shipped FedEx, and it all arrived on-time.

Mark - If I were single, I probably wouldn't be able to afford my bad case of LBA. But I would have more time to spend on my photography habit.